Routes around Coniston

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited March 2015 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone suggest a loop of around 40miles or so, starting from and returning to Coniston in the Lake District? I'm heading there with a couple of colleagues in September and we are looking for an afternoon's riding. We did the Broughton Wheeler's loop last year and really enjoyed it but fancy a change. Having done Wrynose Pass we would like to try and include Hardknott this time. I've had a dabble with MapMyRide but just when I think I have a good route I find that I have picked a road that is unsuitable for road bikes.
Cheers for any info.
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• I would start off by buying or begging a Ordnance Survey Landranger map of the area. You can study that and work out various routes. Put them into Google Maps or similar to check distances. Wrynose and Hardknott are basically on the same stretch of road so if you feel masochistic you can do them both..!! What do you mean by 'unsuitable for road bikes'? What type of road bike are we talking about? I've cycled most roads in the Lake District without out much trouble (apart from the gradients that is).
    I'm not getting old... I'm just using lower gears......
    Sirius - Steel Reynolds 631
    Cove Handjob - Steel Columbus Nivacrom
    Trek Madone - Carbon
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I would start off by buying or begging a Ordnance Survey Landranger map of the area. You can study that and work out various routes. Put them into Google Maps or similar to check distances. Wrynose and Hardknott are basically on the same stretch of road so if you feel masochistic you can do them both..!! What do you mean by 'unsuitable for road bikes'? What type of road bike are we talking about? I've cycled most roads in the Lake District without out much trouble (apart from the gradients that is).

Thanks for the reply. I use MapMyRide a lot, mainly because it allows you to link to Google street view while building a route. I tend to think of a road as unsuitable for my road bike if there is no street view for it i.e. the camera vehicle was unable to drive down the road so chances are it is basically a dirt track or private road or some other reason preventing access. Maybe I'm being over cautious?? My bike is fairly standard, not CX or anything like that.

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    viewtopic.php?f=40003&t=13004584

I'm not sure if this would be relevant? I used Ambleside as a base and dropped down the one side of Coniston. Either way I hope you enjoy better weather than myself. It rained for the entire route and we occasionally experienced some decent views through the clagg and rain.... :wink: It is God's county though.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu