Can a M772 rear mech cope with a 26t lowest sprocket?

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited March 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I know my MTB mech can handle beyond a 32t low sprocket, but whats the smallest low sprocket it can handle? 26t?

The Shimano PDF doesn't say.

If you're making the biggest sprocket smaller, at what point do you slap a road rear mech on? 25t and less?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It will do any sized smallest you want, but as the jockey wheel clearance will be high, shifting will suffer, for 26/25 I'd be using a road mech. Assuming of course your lowest gear is in the normal low gear position, if you are using a 7 of 10 setup for example, it shouldn't be, so you need to decide on the effective lowest gear equivalent.

Why go that small?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    The Shimano PDF doesn't say.

You can find the specs for it here: http://productinfo.shimano.com/specifications.html

Click on: MTB > Rear Derailleur > DEORE XT > Submit
  • ^^^ very good much improved way to look at tech specs.

So the answer is it probably will cope with it and work but it is not designed to so will not work optimally
  • Manc33
    Cheers guys. I don't "want" to go to a smaller low sprocket, but my chain is gigantic (55 links) and has problems on small-small because of it, long story. :lol: It is a road bike, but I had to ask here because its about the XT rear mech coping.

I read somewhere a short cage rear mech can cope with up to 27t. That answers the question itself I guess. :oops: I mean if even a short cage mech can cope with 27t you should definitely not be using a MTB rear mech on something like a 26t/25t. :oops:

Shimano spec doesn't make much sense to me, a lot of it says "32t minimum" on mechs where a 30t or 28t work fine. :?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's not a 'gigantic' chain (presumably you mean 110 links), and mech should make no difference to chain length. Small/small is also unnecessary - should be in big and a larger cog.

So I would say you have more issues than needing an XT mech.

Most road bikes manage perfectly well with road mechs, strangely enough - what's special about yours?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Manc33
    I have already got the XT (RD-M772) on the bike with an 11-32t cassette.

I wondered how small the biggest sprocket could be to avoid buying a road rear mech.
  • cooldad
    So why not just ask outright what you want to know instead of waffling all sorts of pointless waffle?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Manc33
    edited February 2015
    You asked me something, I answered, you say "don't waffle". Errrr... don't ask me then?!

The Rookie answered, but it had a question at the end of it. Should I just not answer anything I get asked?
  • cooldad
    Good luck.

I'm out.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Manc33
    I didn't start asking OTHER stuff though did I like why this, why that, why are you doing it that way... which is all I ever get asked when I am asking anything here anyway.

No one ever does answer straight, its always "Why would you do that" etc.

So I get asked something, then I answer it and then I'm "waffling" lol.

Why ask me a question if when I answer you're then going to say stop waffling?

People ask stuff like "What's so special about your bike" lol. You're causing the waffling by asking me.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    fork off
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Drugs
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    ^^^ very good much improved way to look at tech specs.

Shimano has changed the link address to: http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spec/1.2
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Drugs

Needs them or takes them?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes