Support Cars

lancew
lancew Posts: 680
edited February 2015 in Tour & expedition
In July I am helping on an organised group ride from London to Paris through an accounting professional body, so its essentially a social event. 3 day event which on the newsletter sent out we put that we have a support vehicle. Its my Mum (the UK branch secretary) that is in charge of the logistics it and I have been helping with the London to Brighton for about 3 years now, so we're pretty good on that front.

We have 31 people booked on, and we have 1 support car, currently a Toyota Previa which will be driving from beginning to mid point to end with spare parts, luggage and lunch and drink top-ups.

The question I have been asked to get some forum advice on is:

Is one support vehicle enough for a 31 person group ride with three speed groups? My feeling is that it should be fine, all they will be doing is meeting us at points and in emergencies so the likelihood of any issues is very low.

Cheers

Lance
Specialized Allez Sport 2013

Comments

• hdow
    hdow Posts: 184
    3 day ride, who carries the overnight stuff & changes of clothes? Will the Previa take 31 bags? Will 31 people bring 1 small bag each? Some people take more for a weekend away then I will for a 2 week cycle tour with camping

Do you know & trust all 31 to take the ride as it comes. If not you may need spare capacity for those who cannot continue. What happens if your mum is dealing with an emergency/serious mechanical when she is due to be at a prearranged point elsewhere for a lunch break?
  • I agree with Hdow that one Previa is perhaps not enough. Aside from the packing of 31 peoples stuff like Hdow I am more concerned about the possibility of an accident or other problem that the one car has to go to to help meaning that the lunch or other meet up is missed. Perhaps the Previa and another car with a bike rack.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I think that the bag issue is fine, there is space for 31 small/medium hold-alls in there, we can easily get the luggage box on the top as well for storing spares and parts.

The mechanical/rider in car issue is what does worry me. Because there are two in the car it is possible to have the lunch dropped at the meet and the car go back.

Thank you both for the input, I will mention it.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013