Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Help! RockShox XC32 Top Cap Stuck

iLukeKendalliLukeKendall Posts: 160
edited March 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm currently in the process of trying to change the spring in my RockShox XC32 fork. So far I've pulled the lowers, but I now have a major problem.

The top cap (which is STUPIDLY made from plastic) requires a 24mm hex socket wrench to undo. When I've tried to undo it, the hex wrench just slipped and rounded off the plastic head, meaning I now have no way of getting purchase on the cap to undo it.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions, please?! I'm replacing the cap with the new spring, but I need to get the old one out first :(

Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile


  • Thanks oxocube, however unfortunately I don't have one that size. I tried using an adjustable wrench/spanner, however the cap edges are so thin that it just flexes when I try and undo it. I'm now at a point where the edges are almost totally round, so I really don't know what to do! :(
    Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,811
    Cut it out and buy a new one....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I thought about doing that, but how would I go about it without damaging the threads on the inside of the crown/stanchion? I already have a replacment cap to go on that came with the spring.
    Whyte 29-CS • Canyon Ultimate • #CCWMTB • Strava Profile
  • peter413peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If you're replacing it anyway try some mole grips. It'll wreck it but that doesn't matter.
  • HortonHorton Posts: 327
    A lot of sockets are chamfered for the first mm or so which means if the nut/bolt/top cap you are trying to undo then hardly any of the hex bit of the wrench is in contact so makes it easy to do what you've done... I've ground one down to remove the chamfer to avoid this issue.

    As far as removing the one that's in there - def try mole grips but if that fails, can you cut a notch in each side directly opposite each other so you can use something like a file to undo it - like a t-wrench?
  • ravey1981ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Cut a small notch and use a flat blade screwdriver as a drift to tap it round until it loosens.
Sign In or Register to comment.