Trail tyres - Maxxis High Roller 2 vs On-one CM/Smorgasboard

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at a pair of tyres to run tubeless.

Choices are:-

Maxxis HR 2 tr (26 x 2.3") - £26
On-one Chunky Monkey or Smorgasboard - £20-25

I know that the on-ones aren't marketed as a tubeless tyre but have seen many people running them tubeless.

What are your guys thoughts/experiences?

Also open to suggestions for other tyres.

Thanks

Comments

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I have a couple of Smorgs (one hard/one soft compound) and a Chunky Monkey (soft compound)

Very happy with them at the moment, have been through a few tyres over the last couple of years, Nobby Nics, Rocket Rons, Minions, Crossmarks, Geax Lobo Loco, couple of old WTB offerings. I have settled on a soft Smorg rear and soft CM front at the moment, reasonably light combination (600g/800g ish)considering the grip on offer. Not the stickiest tyre I have ever used but they are very predictable which is more important in my book. Rolls well enough but the hard compound is much much less draggy on the flat. Easiest to set up tubeless out of all I have tried (Stans Crest and Flow rims). I will switch the soft Smorg to the front and put a hard Smorg or something lighter on the back for the summer when it dries out.

I did put quite a nasty hole in one the Smorgasbords with some sharp flint which has rendered it a tube-only tyre now but to be honest I don't think any of my other tyres would have survived either.

For £15 each you cant really lose.

I did have a go on my mates old hardtail the other day which he had just fitted brand new HR2's to and was really surprised how planted it felt. Would definitely consider them next time I buy if I can find them at a price somewhere near the On One tyres.
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    Thanks for your response, exactly what I was looking for, I think I'm going to try the on-ones as the HR2 at the same price isn't the 'exo' version like the on-ones which I believe are made by Maxxis anyway.