Semi integrated headset fitting

fuzzdog
fuzzdog Posts: 196
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.
Could anyone tell me if a pressing tool is required to fit a semi integrated headset as opposed to an integrated one? or do they simply drop in as the bearings would on a fully integrated type?

Also. some semi integrated headsets seem to have rounded edges to the cups rather than 45 or 36 degree cups. does that mean that they are compatible with any angle.

I want to fit a headset to a frame with a headtube that has an outer dimension of 50mm. I think the inside is 44mm for a 1. 1/8 steerer and the only headsets I can find for that fitting are semis. I can find fully integrated with 44mm bearings but how do I know the top seal will cover the headtube?
The frame is a Boardman alloy Race from 2011. I'm fitting a carbon fork with straight 1.1/8 steerer.

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    As long as the head tube is straight you'll be looking at a 44/28.6 top and bottom (28.6 being the i.d of the bearings and relating to a 1 1/8 steerer).

You'll need a press to fit the cups, then the bearings drop n to the cups.

There's a good guide to what you'll need here as long as they list the frame http://www.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I just fit the cups using a hammer and block of wood, fitted dozens without an issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fuzzdog
    Hello.
    Yes thanks. I've seen that site and they don't list the frame.
    Really I would rather have drop in integrated cartridge type headset. The only thing is i'm not sure if the top seal/dust cover will cover the top of the head tube which is 50 mm.
  • fuzzdog
    Yes? well I suppose it's not carbon so guess it's okay
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope, it's not. Unless the frame is designed as integrated, you need cups.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fuzzdog
    The frame has a bore ( about 1cm deep ) and then angled edges. Im not sure if they are 45 or 36 degrees. difficult to tel. So it looks like it is integrated compatible. but i'm not an expert.

Have to say I am getting confused with what the dimensions refer to. Some sites seem to list as say 50mm od headtube. to confirm. the outside edge diameter of mu headtube is 50mm but the hole where you would put the bearings is 44mm. So what should I be lloking for and are they all a standard depth. I think not.
  • Antm81
    The recess is to fit the headset cups, the only difference between integrated and semi integrated (also known as zero stack) is that the cups aren't part of the frame, so once they're pressed in, you can change the bearings without having to press new cups in.

As for the dust cover, covering the o.d of the headline, why does it matter? It shouldn't, only needs to cover the I.d, the top cup for the headset will probably cover the top of the head tube anyway.
  • The Rookie
    44mm internal diameter (outside diameter is obviously totally irrelevant) is semi integrated, you fit cups and bearings in the cups, hence 'semi' of the integrated,
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fuzzdog
    Okay, thanks ,
    with that all said. If i want to fit an intergrated rather than a semi into my frame that I think is integrated compatible ( allowing for the aforementioned dimensions of the frame) do you think this headset will fit. it is 44mm od 1.1/8
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.FSA-Impact-Inte ... tAodpQEATQ
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fuzzdog wrote:
    Okay, thanks ,
    with that all said. If i want to fit an intergrated rather than a semi into my frame that I think is integrated compatible ( allowing for the aforementioned dimensions of the frame) do you think this headset will fit. it is 44mm od 1.1/8
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.FSA-Impact-Inte ... tAodpQEATQ

if it is a semi integrated head tube it is not compatible with any integrated headset.

so no.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Antm81
    Having looked at the boardman race, in 2013 it had an integrated headset (can't find 2011) so if you want give it a go.

By the way you do realise you are in the MTB part of the forum and the race looks like it would fall apart at the sight of mud? Integrated headsets tend to be less common on MTB's due to the different fork standards etc.
  • fuzzdog
  • fuzzdog
    Nope. Didn't realise this was MTB land. Okay thanks. I'm outa here. lol
    Thanks all.
  • The Rookie
    There may be a clue in the forum title?