:shock:
Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS

Comments

• Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    It's really rather nice though...
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Remember that in Australia the prices of cars are around 50-100% higher than that of the UK and Europe.
    Having said that, I love these old VW cars, My wife wants a Karmann Ghia for her 40th and I can understand why, they are just so nice to look at, every angle a beauty.
    Living MY dream.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    A friend of mine has always been into air cooled VWs. Has a Beetle, a Type 2, a couple of 356s and an early 911. He has been saying the prices of the campers have been on the rise for a long while. Basically the lads that were into Beetles got older and have a wife and kids then got into the vans to keep the hobby going with family involvement. I think he said an early camper is worth more than a fixed head 356.
  • VTech
    The 356 is going to be massive money soon, you need only look at the 355 to see how prices have increased.
    I love the 356 and would have one in my collection if it were possible atm.
    Recently I've also started to like the old american cars, like a pimped out snoop dogg type bouncer :)
    Could see myself dropping the kids off to school in one of those in the summer ;)
    Living MY dream.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    All Beetles and their kin are vile, slow, nasty, noisy and endlessly unpleasant.

Two words: Surf "dudes". 'Nuff said.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • VTech
    SecretSam wrote:
    All Beetles and their kin are vile, slow, nasty, noisy and endlessly unpleasant.

I built a beetle many years ago with a Porsche Turbo engine transplant, it wasn't slow.
    Also, some of the finest cars ever built were slow. Your comment is quite daft really, maybe winner of the "daft post of the month award"

There are plenty of cars I wouldn't drive, that I don't really like but I would never suggest them as being vile, especially such an iconic car as the beetle which transformed the world car trade like no other since the Model T.

Your comment is like saying "the BMX is vile, horrid bike and slow compared to a carbon racer"
    The comment has no meaning, daft, silly.
    Living MY dream.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    VTech wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Your comment is quite daft really, maybe winner of the "daft post of the month award"

It seems you don't visit much anymore as that wouldn't even make the top division... :wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Slowmart wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Your comment is quite daft really, maybe winner of the "daft post of the month award"

It seems you don't visit much anymore as that wouldn't even make the top division... :wink:

+1 have you not seen the quick links post?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Slowmart wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Quite right, it's not even my daftest post this month.

Oh - and I like slow cars, for example the Morris Minor. And the fact that your Beetle wasn't slow was due to you putting a mental engine in it - that's like saying I'm not slow on a bike* because I've strapped the engines from Thrust 2 to it. So there. :lol:

*(I really am)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • VTech
    In that case I'm stumped, your the first person I'm aware of that thinks of the beetle as being vile.
    Ordered by one of histories most hated me, designed by one of histories finest engineers.
    Driven by more people than any other car in history.
    Engineered to be the perfect car (for what it was).
    Living MY dream.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    VTech wrote:
    I built a beetle many years ago with a Porsche Turbo engine transplant, it wasn't slow.

I've always wanted to do that. How did you squeeze it in? I've seen Impreza engined Beetles too, but at least the Posche engine is 'family'...
  • VTech
    There was a place local to us in Cotteridge that did the boot spacer kit which was around £15, it allowed the boot to open slightly which then gave us enough room for the engine fitment. It was easy enough at the time as we did the engine fit outside my mates house one weekend using trolley jacks and rope chain.
    I loved that car although it wasn't mine, we had a blast in it but having no heaters was enough for me to not actually buy one myself.
    Ive done a few of these types of projects over the years and would do another if I had the time, I love tinkering but the wife goes mad at me.
    Living MY dream.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    it's not just the air cooled VW's that have gone up in price,if you take a look at most classics,their prices have risen considerably in the last 10 years or so,this includes old Japanese bikes as well,I would love a Suzuki RG500 these have gone from around 5k to about 15-20k,I welded up a 66 split screen panel van for a mate of mine,put the bottom 4" all the way round plus out riggers jacking points,2/3 of the cab floor,he paid 4k for the rolling shell,a samba with windows would of been 10k in the same condition,i spent a year in NZ about 15 years ago,and i traveled around in a 74' westfalia bay window that was in good condition,i sold it for about £900 over here now it would be 15-18k

Tend to think it's also with the low interest rates,why put your money in to savings when you are not going to earn much on it,and you might as well enjoy your money,which makes classics a bit of a supply and demand thing

VTech I can understand why your wife wants a Karmann Ghia,they are personally one of the best looking cars ever made,I have been toying with the idea of restoring one myself
  • VTech
    eric draven, what is your trade if you don't mind me asking ?

In the past I've spent a lot on cars, making them quicker, engine transplants etc but I've lost lot on them.
    Around ten years ago someone said buy a supercar and it will be one of the cheapest cars you run and so I did, and it was.
    People automatically think your loaded if you drive a Ferrari or Lamborghini but for me, its relatively cheap driving, my last Ferrari cost me around £2000 in a year when you consider the buy, cost to insure, and then resale.
    On the other side, my last X5 cost me over £15000 in a year when you add up insurance and depreciation.

Im yet to discover the beauty of profit on classic cars so would love to get into this but my skills are not with restoration sadly. I think as I get older I like the looks of the cars from the 60's and 70's more and more.
    Living MY dream.
  • eric_draven
    VTech i am a fabricator by trade and my dad was a mechanic,whom i learnt lot from,there is money to be made restoring cars and bikes,but you have to look at the obvious your time spent against your profit made,and how much are you willing to work for,and find a vehicle at the right price, if i do a Karmann it will be for me to keep and enjoy for several years,it will be custom so will be to my taste,more the point of my post has been the appreciation of some classic cars and bikes over the last 10 years or so,a lot have seemed to have doubled,think VW buses are probably the best example

can see your point of buying a supercar if you look at it the way you have

i have just sold a VW T4 kombi owned it for 8 years and sold it for £200 more than i paid for it,this seems to be because of the trend of people wanting to convert vans into campers and day vans
  • veronese68
    Classics are doing well money wise, unfortunately for most of them restoration is still more expensive than buying a good one at the moment. Restorations are being done for emotional reasons or because the car is being kept long term rather than financial. Hopefully this will change and restoration business will improve. For particularly rare cars or those with special history restoration can make money. Buy a classic because you want one and you won't lose money on it, but please use the thing. Cars are meant to be driven, they are not show pieces.
  • eric_draven
    just seen this £198,000 US ,it's certainly nice,but mental money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a05hYEqF_Dw
  • VTech
    Remember that in Australia the prices of cars are around 50-100% higher than that of the UK and Europe.
    Having said that, I love these old VW cars, My wife wants a Karmann Ghia for her 40th and I can understand why, they are just so nice to look at, every angle a beauty.
    This is exactly wrong regarding car prices. VW Golf $22990 over here, £17000 over there that's $34000 for a Golf! Hyundai i30 $21000 over here, £17000 over there. That's $34000 for a Hyundai hatch! The only cars that are expensive over here are high end sports cars and the like as the small market means you essentially have to import it yourself or special order it through a dealer. That could be why VTech thinks cars are expensive over here as I know he has expensive taste in cars.

In reality it is fair to say that I only work with high end cars and my shops in AU also mainly deal with high end.

Having said that, the models you get tend to be less spec than we have here so by the time you add the spec we get as standard you are onto a 50%+ on the average Mk7 Golf.
    We imported a Bugatti Veyron and 2x Lamborghini Aventador and the price was inflated to much near 100% more than I would pay here in the UK.
    Living MY dream.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I import hundreds of beautiful classic cars a year, some beautiful, some damn ugly, but yesterday I went down to the NSRA show at Old Warden and saw one of the nicest cars that I have seen all year, yep a fully restored VW Karman in Sapphire Blue, it was simply stunning.

Conversely someone has made a small Caravan of a split screen VW Camper, about half size of the real thing, again in a Dark Metallic Blue with white panels, simply a work of art.

Personally I don't really care how bad a car drives, it's all about the style. (Well I do when it is relevant ;-) )

I drive a 220 Estate as my run around, a 911 for fun and I get more looks anywhere with my 47 Chevy Stylemaster Hot Rod, it goes from one extreme of handling to the other with the Chevy having no power brakes, no power steering, few luxuries and handles like a bag of spuds but it gives equally as much smiles to the mile as the 911, it's loud, very loud with a 350 Cu. In. V8 straight through pipes and gets more attention than any other car I have owned. I went down to the farm shop as I was in the area and it took me 20 mins of people stopping me before I could get out of the car park.

Similarly I see some lovely VW Kombi's being driven around that get a great deal of attention when lovingly restored, yeah there are better solutions for travelling and sleeping, but none really as Iconic.
  • VTech
    @velonutter, I had no idea you restored and collected classics.
    I knew you had the porka, and as I've said before, it ruins any car driver because there really is no where left to go once you have had a Porsche 911.
    Biggest let down of my life was when I sold my 996t Cabriolet for a Ferrari F360 Spyder. I loved the Ferrari and it was a dream to own one but as a driving car it wasn't on the same level as the Porsche.

If your local any time soon let me know and you can take the 918 for a spin, now thats on another level in every sense.
    Living MY dream.
  • Velonutter
    @velonutter, I had no idea you restored and collected classics.
    I knew you had the porka, and as I've said before, it ruins any car driver because there really is no where left to go once you have had a Porsche 911.
    Biggest let down of my life was when I sold my 996t Cabriolet for a Ferrari F360 Spyder. I loved the Ferrari and it was a dream to own one but as a driving car it wasn't on the same level as the Porsche.

If your local any time soon let me know and you can take the 918 for a spin, now thats on another level in every sense.

@Vtech, nah I don't restore them, I don't have enough hours in the day anyway, I act as the Freight Forwarding Agent we move vehicles all over the world, I'll send you a PM.

I've attached a couple of pics, from what I can determine the engine is out of a mid 80's Camaro with a mild Cam, turning out only about 300 bhp, but with no Power Brakes or Steering she's a bit wild, just waiting for the traction bars to be fitted and I can then do a few burnout :-)

We've imported a load a VW Buses, Karman Ghias, Hot Rods, Museum Vehicles, boats, planes, helicopters.

Did I read that right that you have a 918??? I'm away next week, but when I get back will give you a bell as would love to see how this compares to my 911 :-) Might even have to buy you lunch! :shock:
  • VTech
    It isn't mine I'm afraid, it belongs to a client but he will have no problem with me letting you take it for a spin.
    Let's talk when your back as I am looking for a Karmann Ghia for the wife, maybe you can assist.
    Living MY dream.
  • Velonutter
    It isn't mine I'm afraid, it belongs to a client but he will have no problem with me letting you take it for a spin.
    Let's talk when your back as I am looking for a Karmann Ghia for the wife, maybe you can assist.

Thanks would love to take it out, when I was in SF in March, one of my agents had one in their warehouse, a truly beautiful car, that is so different from the rest, would lover to be able to afford one.

Be glad to help, I've just sent you a PM, will give you a bell when I am back.
  • VTech
    On the basis of our conversation VTech I did a bit of investigation. The overall spread of car prices down under is much wider. Cheap cars are really cheap and expensive cars are really expensive. The crossover is about £30,000. It gets quite extreme at either end. A Hyundai i20 1.4 5 door is £10,000 over there but only £7000 over here. But an Audi S6 that costs you guys £40,000 costs us £60,000. Weird really. I guess it's because we're so close to asia so cheap asian manufacturers drag the bottom end down but most prestige manufacturers are European based.

That makes sense.
    A lot of the cars I worked on for my AU agent were nissans and the like.
    I remember once doing 75x Tundra :shock:
    Living MY dream.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    I like old VW's. I have a 1968 Westfalia camper and a 1969 Karmann Ghia, the Ghia is just back on the road after a gap in the MOT's but driving yesterday in the sunshine was ace :D
    If you are looking for one, then choose wisely - mechanicals are very cheap but trim and bodywork is very expensive. Mines a So Cal import so has been very easy to own in the time Ive had it. Both mine only really see summer use and are dry stored. The van gets much more use as its so practical and we do a road trip holiday in it every other year, the Ghia is a bit of a white elephant, but its more fun than money in the bank. :mrgreen:
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • veronese68
    ...the Ghia is a bit of a white elephant, but its more fun than money in the bank. :mrgreen:
    That's the thing. Money in the bank isn't making a lot so why not invest it in something that you enjoy. It will probably make more money than sticking it in the bank anyway.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I ve been looking for a decent T5 Transporter for a good while. But I just cant bring myself to spend £10k plus on a half decent builders Van decked out with some Ply or and then another £5-7k on speccing it the way I want it.

The alternative is to spend £20k plus on the finished article and trust in someone elses handywork.

The issue is " Scene Tax" these things are seriously aspirational and trendy, they are as stated earlier in the thread what guys my age with family graduate to , when we want to express our " free will " and can no longer have a sports car.

Other than this place , I also hoover on T5 Forum and the stories of Woo on there are endless, but then I suppose happy people don't come on to forums to say how good things are.

It is a good parallel though , that you can pick up a Transit/Bongo or Traffic for a lot less than a VW but they get slagged roundly on the T5 forum. Its akin to the Ribble/Planet x V Pinarello/Colnago syndrome you see on here.

I d quite happily (and have) ride a Planet X , but I wouldn't be seen dead in a Mazda Bongo ( go figure)

yans%20bus_zpsdgetumjf.jpg

yans%20bug_zpsmaf7s7gc.jpg

My mate Yans pair of Air cooled beauties,