Handle bar position

Bigphillyb
Bigphillyb Posts: 21
edited February 2015 in Road beginners
Hi guys,
Are there any guidelines ?

I've just been on my first short ride and the bars felt low? Are there any rules as to the position?

Thanks for any help
P

Comments

• They are typically attached to the stem :-)

You are into the realms of bike fit discussion here - there is nothing hard and fast, it is all about what suits you. You may find a couple of rides and you start to adapt to the position and are fine.

Get a few more miles in, then look at how you feel and what options you have.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Low bars will give you a more aero position and let you potentially go faster, but if too low it will not be very comfortable.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    If after a few rides they still feel low, you should be able to flip your stem over. This should then angle upwards, raising the bars by half an inch or so depending on the stem.
  • Lets see your setup (photo) and with you on the bike.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    What bike do you have, did you buy it from an LBS or Internet? How as it been set up, stem in the negative (down position), how many spacers below/above the stem?
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Bigphillyb wrote:
    I've just been on my first short ride and the bars felt low? Are there any rules as to the position?

The height of the bars should make it useable to ride in 4 basic positions -
    1) hands near the stem
    2) hands a little wider on the rounded top
    3) hands up against the hoods
    4) hands down in the drop section - and able to have head/neck position to watch the road well in front of you

The angle of the bars (tilt) in the stem should enable your hands/wrists to be comfortable in all 4 positions. Also the position and in/out tilt of the hoods can be adjusted for comfort.

DON'T try to setup the bars to match the pictures of typical racers - adjust them for your own comfort and usability.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Hi all, first post here :)

4 months into semi serious cycling, I tried slamming the stem, because I thought it will make me faster. Nope, it just hurt my back and make me want to stop riding after 30km because my back was killing me!

IMO it's better to have it too high than too low. The drag increase is nothing compared to what a nagging spine pain will do to your performance
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    As you get more hours in the saddle - if you want a lower position - you can gradually lower it. A spacer every month or so.

Your lower back will get stronger, just like your legs will.