Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

shimano road shoes??

turbo1191turbo1191 Posts: 501
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi folks. i've been looking for a new pair of road shoes for a while now, and in my hunt i've tried- fizik, giro(hv), spesh,bontrager, northwave.. and then finally, today, shimano. I found all of the above too narrow in the toebox.. until i tried on a pair of shimano RO 88'S. I was always under the impression, from what ive read, that shimano were meant to be a 'narrow' fit. Now that i know the RO 88 fit, are all shimano road shoes the same fit? im after something with a stiffer sole than the 88..? :(

Posts

  • GrillGrill Posts: 5,610
    If you use a proper insole you won't need such a wide last. And no, not all their shoes have the same fit.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ai_1ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Grill wrote:
    If you use a proper insole you won't need such a wide last. And no, not all their shoes have the same fit.
    That really depends on your feet!
    Mine are extremely wide and fairly high too. It doesn't matter what insole I use, the vast majority of shoes will not fit me without being oversize on length. Shimano R087 in the wide fit, bought a size too big were still slightly tight when new but have since stretched enough to be comfortable. Unfortunately they're in need of changing now after nearly 4 years of use (I'm impressed they lasted this long!) and I'm not looking forward to finding a new option. I have a new pair of more current R087s in the same size but would rather not have to modify them to suit my foot either with a stretching device or my foot. I'm considering a pair of Bont Vaypor plus in wide fit but the price is high.
  • I think i just have very strange shaped feet, very narrow at heel, high metatarsol and wide toebox.. i have custom made orthotics, so there isn't a problem with the insole. Im looking at the shimano R107, as these have the same fit, but a stiffer sole.
  • GrillGrill Posts: 5,610
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    If you use a proper insole you won't need such a wide last. And no, not all their shoes have the same fit.
    That really depends on your feet!
    Mine are extremely wide and fairly high too. It doesn't matter what insole I use, the vast majority of shoes will not fit me without being oversize on length. Shimano R087 in the wide fit, bought a size too big were still slightly tight when new but have since stretched enough to be comfortable. Unfortunately they're in need of changing now after nearly 4 years of use (I'm impressed they lasted this long!) and I'm not looking forward to finding a new option. I have a new pair of more current R087s in the same size but would rather not have to modify them to suit my foot either with a stretching device or my foot. I'm considering a pair of Bont Vaypor plus in wide fit but the price is high.

    Actually it doesn't. If you support the arch properly so that the entire sole of your foot has even distribution, then you will have less force on the forefoot when loaded which means it won't spread as much.
    turbo1191 wrote:
    I think i just have very strange shaped feet, very narrow at heel, high metatarsol and wide toebox.. i have custom made orthotics, so there isn't a problem with the insole. Im looking at the shimano R107, as these have the same fit, but a stiffer sole.

    Who made your insoles? Was it a podiatrist or a proper fitter? Are they full length or 3/4?
    If it isn't full-length and made by a proper fitter (not a podiatrist) then chances are it isn't doing much. In cycling your foot has no real movement as it is always impacted on a stable platform (much like with skiing), whereas a podiatrist examines walking/running gait which is a completely different biomechanical process.

    If you're unsure post a picture of your footbeds and I'll tell you if they're fit for use or if you can do better.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • my orthitics were made by http://www.sportorthotics.co.uk/

    @grill, that very interesting regarding what the fit is for. initially, i was getting pain from mt IT band and pelvis. It turns out i have a leg length discrepency (left leg is 18mm) shorter. i have in-shoe orthotics for both shoes, but i believe these are for walking etc (i dont run). I do have some pelvic rotation when clipped in, and ive always thought i should use a cleat shim on my left shoe (being the shorter leg).
    Apologies for straying from my previous thread!!
  • GrillGrill Posts: 5,610
    Looking at their site and your description it sounds as if they're not sports specific. Also, the podiatrists there don't have practical experience in the relevant fields so I would suggest seeing someone like Colin at Solutions4Feet or perhaps Adrian at Cadence Sport (although I've never personally seen his work so can't properly comment). I've spoken to the fitter at WyndyMilla as well and they have the right equipment and a sense of proper fit, but again without seeing it first-hand I can't be certain as to their craft.

    In the case of asymmetry I'd recommend advancing cleat position on the shorter leg before resorting to shims. If that's not enough then adding a volume reducer under the footbed would be the next step (might not be ideal if you're already struggling for volume with your high instep).

    I have functional asymmetry and I've found that a cleat with lateral float (I use Time/Mavic) is quite useful as it allows the longer leg a slightly great range of motion due to the additional q factor.

    You should also look for shoes with at least a 3 strap closure system (independent, not a boa that control multiple points) or ideally laces as this would allow you to have a sung fit over the foot without compressing your instep and cutting circulation.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ai_1ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Grill wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    If you use a proper insole you won't need such a wide last. And no, not all their shoes have the same fit.
    That really depends on your feet!
    Mine are extremely wide and fairly high too. It doesn't matter what insole I use, the vast majority of shoes will not fit me without being oversize on length. Shimano R087 in the wide fit, bought a size too big were still slightly tight when new but have since stretched enough to be comfortable. Unfortunately they're in need of changing now after nearly 4 years of use (I'm impressed they lasted this long!) and I'm not looking forward to finding a new option. I have a new pair of more current R087s in the same size but would rather not have to modify them to suit my foot either with a stretching device or my foot. I'm considering a pair of Bont Vaypor plus in wide fit but the price is high.
    Perhaps I misunderstand you but I can't see how this does not depend on your feet.
    As I mentioned the vast majority of shoes are too narrow for me unless bought in far too large a size. By this I mean that even unloaded, the interior width of the shoe is less than the width of my foot so that my foot is squeezed just to get it into the shoe. I usually have to go up at least one size, any larger and the position of the arch support and other features are too far out of position to allow me use the shoe.
  • harry-sharry-s Posts: 283
    Try Lake, - they do a wide fitting version for most of their shoes.
    I've a pair of CX236 in wide, fitted with the heat mouldable Fizik Sidas insole, and can recommend them.

    http://www.leisureoutlet.com/cycling/Ro ... tAodxWsARQ
  • GrillGrill Posts: 5,610
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    If you use a proper insole you won't need such a wide last. And no, not all their shoes have the same fit.
    That really depends on your feet!
    Mine are extremely wide and fairly high too. It doesn't matter what insole I use, the vast majority of shoes will not fit me without being oversize on length. Shimano R087 in the wide fit, bought a size too big were still slightly tight when new but have since stretched enough to be comfortable. Unfortunately they're in need of changing now after nearly 4 years of use (I'm impressed they lasted this long!) and I'm not looking forward to finding a new option. I have a new pair of more current R087s in the same size but would rather not have to modify them to suit my foot either with a stretching device or my foot. I'm considering a pair of Bont Vaypor plus in wide fit but the price is high.
    Perhaps I misunderstand you but I can't see how this does not depend on your feet.
    As I mentioned the vast majority of shoes are too narrow for me unless bought in far too large a size. By this I mean that even unloaded, the interior width of the shoe is less than the width of my foot so that my foot is squeezed just to get it into the shoe. I usually have to go up at least one size, any larger and the position of the arch support and other features are too far out of position to allow me use the shoe.

    Look at it this way; if your forefoot measures 100mm unweighted and 104mm under load, then equalising pressure under load would reduce it to 102-103mm, thus negating the need for such a wide shoe.

    Different shoes have different lasts, and buying a size up is the wrong way to do things as your foot will slide unless over tightened (this cutting circulation), so you should just buy the correct size with the correct last to get the best fit.

    I haven't even got into hyper-mobility yet which can really compound the problem of buying shoes that are too big.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • ai_1ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Grill wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    If you use a proper insole you won't need such a wide last. And no, not all their shoes have the same fit.
    That really depends on your feet!
    Mine are extremely wide and fairly high too. It doesn't matter what insole I use, the vast majority of shoes will not fit me without being oversize on length. Shimano R087 in the wide fit, bought a size too big were still slightly tight when new but have since stretched enough to be comfortable. Unfortunately they're in need of changing now after nearly 4 years of use (I'm impressed they lasted this long!) and I'm not looking forward to finding a new option. I have a new pair of more current R087s in the same size but would rather not have to modify them to suit my foot either with a stretching device or my foot. I'm considering a pair of Bont Vaypor plus in wide fit but the price is high.
    Perhaps I misunderstand you but I can't see how this does not depend on your feet.
    As I mentioned the vast majority of shoes are too narrow for me unless bought in far too large a size. By this I mean that even unloaded, the interior width of the shoe is less than the width of my foot so that my foot is squeezed just to get it into the shoe. I usually have to go up at least one size, any larger and the position of the arch support and other features are too far out of position to allow me use the shoe.

    Look at it this way; if your forefoot measures 100mm unweighted and 104mm under load, then equalising pressure under load would reduce it to 102-103mm, thus negating the need for such a wide shoe.

    Different shoes have different lasts, and buying a size up is the wrong way to do things as your foot will slide unless over tightened (this cutting circulation), so you should just buy the correct size with the correct last to get the best fit.

    I haven't even got into hyper-mobility yet which can really compound the problem of buying shoes that are too big.
    There seems to be a mis-communication somewhere!
    I need such a wide shoe because I have such a wide foot.
    You say "if your forefoot measures 100mm unweighted and 104mm under load, then equalising pressure under load would reduce it to 102-103mm, thus negating the need for such a wide shoe."
    That's fine if the shoe measures 103mm. However if the right length shoe is only 99mm wide then it's too narrow regardless of insoles.
    I'm not suggesting people should buy shoes that are too big. I'm saying some people have feet that don't match standard shoe designs so you either get them custom made or you compromise.

    Anyway, gone a little off topic now, apologies!
  • GrillGrill Posts: 5,610
    Indeed, but most people have a much narrower foot than they think because they always measure under load. I think that we're saying roughly the same thing, all I took issue with is saying that a footbed won't reduce the size of last necessary.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Thanks for all the input guy's.. I think I'll go for the shimano as out of all the shoe's they feel the best.. I'll then probably look at the biomechanics and a 'proper' fit after that
  • izzaizza Posts: 1,561
    turbo1191 wrote:
    Thanks for all the input guy's.. I think I'll go for the shimano as out of all the shoe's they feel the best.. I'll then probably look at the biomechanics and a 'proper' fit after that

    I have wide feet for their size and I bought some Shimano shoes that are snug in length and fine in width.
  • yayayaya Posts: 411
    turbo1191 wrote:
    Thanks for all the input guy's.. I think I'll go for the shimano as out of all the shoe's they feel the best.. I'll then probably look at the biomechanics and a 'proper' fit after that

    Good choice I think as Shimano are also well made and seem to last longer than others I've had (Spesh and Northwave)
  • Yeh, going to go with the R107's.. can't go wrong at £76.. :D
Sign In or Register to comment.