£1000 Budget 2nd hand downhill bike

tom2560
tom2560 Posts: 5
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
just after some ideas of what i can expect to find for around the £1000 mark in downhill bikes
i im looking at specialized status / trek session 88 / norco aurum (slightly over budget)
but with the status and the aurum ive read the budget rockshox domain lets the bike down i dont want to be having to spend money on changing parts...

are these reviews for somebody whos planning on racing downhill as i do NOT plan on doing that this is something to have some fun on with my mates ive never owned a downhill bike so just after some advice i dont really even know what questions i should be asking or what i should be looking for as ive only riden brifely a giant glory and a kona stab i think...

any help would be great thanks
tom

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Status is great if you can find one with Boxxers. Nice ride.
    I would avoid used Sessions, Ive seen too many wrecked Session frames.
    Nukeproof Scalps are a great used buy, absolutely bombproof frame, great ride and within your budget.
  • alot of people have told me the session is a bomb proof bike? what do you mean by wrecked frames? like cracked or bearings gone in swing arms bends what?
    and yes i have been told to look for a status with boxxers and that would be an ideal bike its just finding one within budget! do you have any experience with the domains? are they really that bad a fork?
    thanks
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have had Domains. Theyre very crude and struggle to keep up at speed.
    Sessions have very thin down tubes. If you crash and knock it on a rock they dent or crush really easily. I have seen four or five completely wrecked. They also break seat stays. I wouldnt have one although the carbon ones dont seem to suffer the same problem.