Ride my Allez into the ground or N+1, What would BR do???

homers_double
homers_double Posts: 8,019
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm riding a fairly basic Specialized Allez, 2013 with upgraded Tiagra drive train and a Fulcrum racing 5 wheelset as pictured here (in non-OCD pose)
IMG_1679_zps54e94df6.jpg

Its in very good condition and well maintained, wheels run nice a true and fits me quite well.

I have a smallish budget of £600 which could be stretched if I needed to by a few hundred and have seen this Spesh Tarmac Sport on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-speciali ... 43d83c720a

The question is, for the amount that it may go for am I basicaly side stepping or upgrading, yes the Tarmac has a 105 groupset but are the wheels a downgrade etc?

Other option is that I gradualy add to by meager budget and ride the Allez for this year and upgrade in 2016.
Advocate of disc brakes.

Comments

• Swap, mix and match? I'm not sure if that would just mean downgrading your existing bike to emphasise the gap between them, though. I'm not hugely convinced entry level carbon is a particularly good choice in any case, and I'd be more inclined to get something with current gen 105 for a more noticeable upgrade. 5700 is grand, but not a huge leap above 4600.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    What I did is buy a Tarmac with the intention of selling my Allez, failing to sell my Allez for anything like what I considered it to be worth to me, then using my Allez first as a TT bike (with Tribars etc) and now as a damp/wet weather bike (with Cruds).

IMHO both bikes are worth at least the FR5 wheels - or better.
  • It's entirely up to you, but what would you want to get out of the Tarmac compared to what you already have with the Allez?

The Allez is a fine frame (although the lack of mudguard clearance is a pain for running as a winter bike) and can be used from winter duties to racing in all its forms and everything in between.

I can see the appeal of buying a £600 tarmac- it would be marginally lighter and may offer a little more comfort and performance from the frame but the finishing kit and wheels are not much different to what you have already, and you will still need to do a bit of servicing to get it working properly.
    However, if you are looking at an investment frame that you can upgrade over time (e.g. buy shiny Ultegra groupset to put on the Tarmac and then move the old 105 from the Tarmac to the Allez) and have a shiny pair of summer wheels on it when it's not a bad buy.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I'd stick with what you have, assuming there are no major problems with it and upgrade at a later date when there is a more compelling case/ budget available. Even then you may not even need to upgrade unless you just feel the need for a change.

There is also the peril of buying a new bike and then building up an argument for keeping the existing one for winter travels, etc. Before long you could end up with a fleet of them!!

Peter
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    (although the lack of mudguard clearance is a pain for running as a winter bike) and can be used from winter duties to racing in all its forms and everything in between.
    Crud RR II's fit on with 23 or 25mm tyres - and it's what I use for the club runs - for the dirty rides I use a Tricross with solid mudguards and a bit more clearance.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58UL ... -road-bike

£799 !

Or if you have £600 finance another £400 and you'll have the pick of loads more and it's not too bigger financial impact.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Thanks for the replies, but funnily enough I'm running SKS Raceblades on it as we speak...

I think my ideal scenario is to ride the Allez and if funds increase over the year maybe buy a 2015 model in the end of year clearout. I just hate looking at ebay with cash sat doing nothing.

I am considering discs though, and thats one of the sticking points with buying now...

Downside to that is the bikes are porrly specced to fund the brakes...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Why buy that Tarmac? Why this of course:

"The Tarmac Sport is a pure and unbridled race machine. It climbs effortlessly, descends confidently, and sprints ferociously. Bottom line, you’ll be faster on this bike."

All according to the Spesh BS machine :)

Christ, just swing a leg over and off you will fly...

On a more serious note, I would save a bit more and look at a better spec Tarmac. I am a big fan of the Allez though and ride one with the E5 frame, which is very good and exceptional light.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBVIGLADRI ... -road-bike

If you prefer Sram - the 22 levers are ace.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.