Advice on STRONG road bike wheels

RomeoFive
RomeoFive Posts: 3
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi Everyone,

My rims are wearing a bit thin on my Cannondale CAAD8, and I think its time to look at replacing them.

I commute 16 miles a day on it in all weathers, and throw it about a bit, jumping off kerbs etc, so I am after a very strong wheel that won't snap spokes and can take a nice high pressure. I am much less concerned about weight (I cycle mainly for fitness and don't race).

Any suggestions? Not looking to spend a fortune ideally!

Best wishes and thanks in advance.

Oliver

PS - How do I know for sure when my rims need replacing? They are starting to feel slightly concave to the touch, is it time for them to go?

Comments

• holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Do your rims have wear indicators?

As for suggestions, handbuilt might be an option. Miche hubs with Kinlin XC-279 rims and Sapim Race spokes should be strong and good value for money. What is your budget?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Something like this maybe if your budget stretches

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections ... a-wheelset

Or there are other more expensive options on Malcolm's website.

36/36 spoke count is probably what you need.
  • Thanks for the replies so far.
    holiver wrote:

Sadly not, no groove...

Budget wise, I'm not cash strapped, but don't want to pay more than i really need to
  • If you are not fussed about weight and appearance, it's much much simpler.
    Something strong as an ox can easily be built based on 105 hubs, Rigida Flyer rims and DT Swiss competition spokes. You should be looking at under 200 pounds. That doesn't compare well with off the peg offers you will find online, but when it comes to mileage, they will outpace the latter by a factor of 3 or 4.

IME you are more likely to see a dodo alive than to break a spoke on an overengineered and well built wheel
    left the forum March 2023
  • holiver wrote:

As for suggestions, handbuilt might be an option. Miche hubs with Kinlin XC-279 rims and Sapim Race spokes should be strong and good value for money. What is your budget?

This!

I am 98kg and ride pretty much like you suggest and I have Miche Primato hubs, 32 Sapim Race spokes and Velocity A23 rims. Stiff, still light enough, ultra-reliable.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    For cheap and strong this has to be pretty hard to beat:
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/road ... aid:339609

Unless you go even further and get Tiagra hubs:
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/road ... aid:202988

I'd be interested to hear anyone with experience of these, I'm contemplating a set for commute duties.
  • TimothyW wrote:

On paper yes, but a pair of wheels are only going to be as good as the build quality. You can have a set of 20 spokes wheels lasting 3 times longer that a set of 32... just look at the average lifespan of a pair of Ksyrium or Neutron as opposed to the 32 H stuff you get as default on a bike these days... which one last longer?

There is no place to hide... build quality is at least 80% of what makes them good or bad (as discussed over 29 pages in other thread).
    left the forum March 2023
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    TimothyW wrote:

On paper yes, but a pair of wheels are only going to be as good as the build quality. You can have a set of 20 spokes wheels lasting 3 times longer that a set of 32... just look at the average lifespan of a pair of Ksyrium or Neutron as opposed to the 32 H stuff you get as default on a bike these days... which one last longer?

There is no place to hide... build quality is at least 80% of what makes them good or bad (as discussed over 19 pages in other thread).

As my just retired 9 year old dura ace wheels so ably testify!

Peter
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I think the kinlin xc 279 or the h plus son archetype is perfect for the op simply shod it with the largest tyres your frame will accept and ride. Ryde do make some cheap tough rims though. The best thing about a ryde rim is the thickness of the brake track. It is one reason why they are so heavy.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.