CX SS Urban Jungle Bike

Fedos
Fedos Posts: 14
edited March 2015 in Commuting general
Hi Guys,

I'm thinking to buy a CX bike for commuting and going around in the city and I'm stuck in 2 models, I need your help!

Basically I will use this bike for quite everything like going to work or from A to B, to the pub or to the beach (I live in Barcelona). I wanna be able to go up and down to steps or bad roads without worrying too much about the wheels and use it with all kind of weather.
At the moment I own a 90' road bike but I know is not mean to use in this way.

The models which I'm stuck to are:

Genesis Day One Disc: http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/urb ... y-one-disc
Vitus Dee 290 2015: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/es/e ... prod120678

These bikes are quite different, the Vitus Dee seems to have more slope on the top tube but in some real pictures I seen on the web it seems not that much, also I don't know too much about the components of this bike and I really don't want to upgrade it since the begin because are't good.
These bike cost as well half the price of the Genesis and have very good review so if it do what I need would be perfect.

The Genesis seems much better in everything but worth the price for what I need? I don't wanna buy a bike which would be too much for what I need, I'm not a poses and if I can save some money would be cool! I could even get the Vitus Dee and upgrade the mechanical brakes to a pair of hidraulic ones like TRP HY/RD but what I'm worried about is the complete bike.

Sorry for my english and the long thead :)

Thanks

Comments

• Fedos
    Fedos Posts: 14
    Nobody?
  • Hi Fedos,

If I were making the decision it would be the Genesis. But if you are looking to save money and not worried about looks or 'bike bling' then the Vitus looks like it will do the job you want it for. Both use 'in-house' or budget components so you are not really gaining anything in that area by going for the Genesis. But the Genesis is by far the nicer looking bike.
    The other thing you might want to consider is that the Vitus is more like a mountain bike whereas the Genesis is a road bike. Although both are labelled as urban bikes, the ride will feel different, so I guess you should go with the riding style of your preference.
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    I have the genesis and use it as a cx & commuting bike. The frame is awesome and the brakes are brilliant. The wheels, while not the best, are very solid. The ride is very good. I made two changes to mine. I put schwalbe land cruiser tyres on it so It could handle abit of mud and I changed the chain ring down to a 38 mainly because I could not turn a 46 off road very well.