Kinesis Racelight T2 Self Build

MarksMintness
MarksMintness Posts: 484
edited June 2015 in Your road bikes
Hi guys, it's been a LOOOONG time since I last posted on here! Basically not been on a bike properly for about 18 months due to another child (bringing the total to 3) and the usual general malaise when you get into your 30's!

A bit of background here:
I really wanted to get back into cycling after this long absence and the idea of building a bike really started to appeal as it would be more about the build than getting out and riding straight away, so I sold my Trek 1.1 (which was a great first road bike but was gathering dust) and started researching. It was a bit daunting as I haven't built a bike before, I've just done a little light home spannering, but I thought it was about time to start learning!

First big choice was frame - I wanted a reasonably light but affordable frame which would be practical (clearances and guards) as well as nice looking, and it wasn't long before I settled on this Kinesis Racelight frame. Next biggest decision was groupset and after a brief flirtation with the idea of Campagnolo Veloce, I saw how good value Shimano 105 11 speed was and the initial reviews were excellent as well so decided to go with this. My 3rd biggest decision was wheels, and after reading a highly favourable review in a magazine and much research into other options I decided to go with these Superstar Pave 28's. At 1500 grams or so they certainly look and feel the biz, although I have yet to put any real miles on them. I'm looking forward to getting out soon in the Spring and seeing how she rides. I've only been around the block so far, but she feels light and responsive, and the new 105 groupset feels fabulously smooth so far.

16447294279_2ed12bc1b2.jpg

16607125876_ef7ca398b3.jpg

16013331223_4c866687fb.jpg

16010929744_aac4afa048.jpg

Frame: Kinesis Racelight T2 – 7005 Double Butted Aluminium (1.6kg) 54cm (I am 5' 9")
Forks: Kinesis DC07 Carbon Fork (alloy steerer) 550g
Bars: Deda RHM03 Aluminium Handlebars (44cm)
Stem: Deda Zero1 Stem (90mm)
Headset: FSA Orbit IS
Bar Tape: Lifeline Essential Bar Tape (blue and white)

Front Brake Lever: Shimano 105 Dual Control Shifters ST-5800
Front Caliper: Tektro R539 Long Drop Brakes
Rear Brake Lever: Shimano 105 Dual Control Shifters ST-5800
Rear Caliper: Tektro R539 Long Drop Brakes

Shifters: Shimano 105 Dual Control Shifters ST-5800
Cables: Shimano 5800 Cables
Front Mech: Shimano 105 Black (5800)
Rear Mech: Shimano 105 Black (5800) 11Spd Rear Gear Short (SS)

Seat: Planet X Sportive Ultra Saddle with Titanium Rails
Seat Post: Planet X Light Alloy Seat Post
Seat Post Clamp: BBB The Strangler

Cranks: Shimano 105 FC-5800-L Crank 2x11 172,5mm black
Chainring(s): 52/36
Chain: Shimano 11Spd 5800 (HG600 105 Chain)
Cassette: Shimano 11 Spd 105 5800 Cassette 11-28
Pedals: Shimano R540 Pedals in Black
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-R60 Ultegra 6800/105 5800 Hollowtech 2

Front Wheel: Superstar Components Pave 28 Wheel
Rim: 28mm Rim in Black
Spokes: 20H
Hub: Icon Ultra (silver)
Tube: Continental Road Race Tube 700x25-32 Race28 T Presta 60mm Long Valve
Tire: Michelin Lithion 2 Folding Tyre (25c)

Back Wheel: Superstar Components Pave 28 Wheel
Rim: 28mm Rim in Black
Spokes: 24H
Hub: Icon Ultra 11 Speed Free Hub (silver)
Tube: Continental Road Race Tube 700x25-32 Race 28T Presta 60mm Long Valve
Tire: Michelin Lithion 2 Folding Tyre (25c)

Accessories: Elite plastic cages and matching Sky bottles (not a Team Sky fan boy but saw these on offer in Decathlon as a set for £8 and the colours matched so had to!)
To go on – Garmin Out Front Mount (from old bike), Possible Guards and Under Saddle Zip Bag

Weight: 9.2 kg (size with both bottles & cages and pedals only, probably around 8.7 kg without bottles or pedals)

Total build cost was about a grand, but the way I look at it is I've got an individual bike that I've specced myself, with an emphasis on a practical frame, decent wheels and groupset so upgrades should be a long way off... and I have learned how to build a bike! I hope you guys like it, I will let you know more about it after some miles hopefully!
Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!

Comments

• dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Thats a nice build for a grand, looks good, a good all-year bike, well done.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    That's a really good looking build! The white frames look awesome. The only reason I went for black was to make it as unnoticeable as possible when left in public.

How would you describe the noise the freehub on the Superstar wheels makes?
  • holiver wrote:
    That's a really good looking build! The white frames look awesome. The only reason I went for black was to make it as unnoticeable as possible when left in public.

How would you describe the noise the freehub on the Superstar wheels makes?

Yes it's a bit clickety not like the silent Shimano/Bontrager wheels I was used to. Not too much of a problem for me though, I suppose it depends how much you freewheel!

For me the wheels are one of the strongest parts of the build, less than £200, as light as wheels twice the price and look awesome, so I'm chuffed!

I do really like the white, although I was close to getting blue as well. I think the white leaves more options for colours for bartape/saddles.. I though about orange at one point!
  • dwanes wrote:
    Thats a nice build for a grand, looks good, a good all-year bike, well done.

Thanks mate, I've yet to fit guards, but I believe full length SKS Bluemels fit fine over the 25c tyres. Don't think there are any other sexier options!
  • holiver
    I'm using the SKS P35 Chromoplastic guards. Happy to recommend those.
  • holiver wrote:
    I'm using the SKS P35 Chromoplastic guards. Happy to recommend those.

Thanks mate I will check them out. I think proper guards are the way forward, I had Cruds on my Trek 1.1 and they just fell to pieces what with getting the bike in and out of the shed...!
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    That is a great looking build- I really like the bar tape! Those wheels sound like a steal too!

Can you feel any differences with the frame compared with the Trek- I'm planning on replacing my 1.1 with a 4s frame later in the year :)

As for guards I'm using the SKS Blumethals with 25C tyres without any issues- the clearance is a little tight but once set up they're fine.

Enjoy!
  • Looks good. I love bikes that are built to be used, not just raced :D
  • Looks good. I love bikes that are built to be used, not just raced :D

Thanks mate, I'm pleased as punch with the build. Been out for a second spin and can't believe I actually built this! No squeaks/rattles, everything works smoothly! Hurray!

Having come from a humble bike to this it feels soooo much better. It feels pretty fast and useable as well, so I'm looking forward to putting some serious miles in :D
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Nice, tape is a wee bit dazzly...
  • RideOnTime wrote:
    Nice, tape is a wee bit dazzly...

It sure is - box fresh! I'm sure it will dull a bit with use. They also do a blue and black one which I may replace it with whenever it needs doing. I also thought about an orangey colour for tape and saddle but didn't have the nerve! Cheers
  • Breaking myself in gently on the new build after 18 months absence from cycling - I did a 9 mile circuit on Saturday, fair bit of climbing and the bike excelled, despite the rider. Having those lighter wheels and the 28T on the back was great, both gears and brakes seem smooth and efficient and well set up (shock!).

I may need to tweak the bars setup slightly to get the fit exactly right, but think I will go on a couple more longer rides to see if I still feel it needs it.

So far a big thumbs up from a happy owner! :D
  • holiver
    Enjoy! Getting your position perfect is the best thing to do to and will pay massive dividends. I am going to try going slightly lower at the front on mine.
  • holiver wrote:
    Enjoy! Getting your position perfect is the best thing to do to and will pay massive dividends. I am going to try going slightly lower at the front on mine.
    Very true mate! I find the T2 low enough for me with about 20mm spacers, it is a lot shorter headtube than my Trek 1.1 I had.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Nice bike, and looks very similar to my own self build, although mine is rather plain in comparison. I was also toying between colours but it hasn't been too much of a chore to clean during winter. I love riding it as it does everything I need, plus it's comfortable with 25mm tyres.
    I did initially forget to put something on the chain stay and had a few chips due to the crappy roads I ride so worth sticking something on there if not already as they show up on the white frame.
  • indyP wrote:
    Nice bike, and looks very similar to my own self build, although mine is rather plain in comparison. I was also toying between colours but it hasn't been too much of a chore to clean during winter. I love riding it as it does everything I need, plus it's comfortable with 25mm tyres.
    I did initially forget to put something on the chain stay and had a few chips due to the crappy roads I ride so worth sticking something on there if not already as they show up on the white frame.

Thanks mate, yes they are GREAT bikes and I'm loving mine. I'm surprised at how 'racy' they feel as well as being practical.
    I might take your advice on the chainstays, as I want to keep it looking nice!
    Cheers,
  • lbalc
    lbalc Posts: 1
    I bought a Kinesis T2, DC07 Fork, back in 2012, with a 2009 winter build kit from CRC- Cost me £670 total. Changed the brakes to Shimano R650's and Durano Plus for commuting. Since then I have new wheels, Mavic CXP-33/Dura Ace 7400 and front and rear Mavic CXP33, Ultegra 6800. Kept to the Tiagra 9spd- doesn't wear as quick as 10spd. FSA Gossamer Crankset. Good commuting for 2 1/2 years.