Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

White Assos top now pink thanks to waterproof!

rodgers73rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited February 2015 in Road general
Washed the two together at 30 degrees.

Now have mildly pink Assos jacket (how does thick nylon shed colour??)

Anyway - any ideas on getting it back to white again??

Posts

  • You can use white distilled vinegar, adding it to the washing machine and re-washing the jacket separately. However, not sure how your Assos warranty will be affected.
  • rodgers73rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Wondered about emailing them for guidance
  • Probably wise. The vinegar trick works well on most normal garments and is worth doing to white clothes every now and again to keep them white. Cycling gear is specialist though, so may be worth getting in touch with Assos, especially at their prices...
  • rodgers73rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Well its currently back in the wash with a one of those white rescue products that removes loose dye.

    Finger crossed...
  • rodgers73rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    You can use white distilled vinegar, adding it to the washing machine and re-washing the jacket separately. However, not sure how your Assos warranty will be affected.

    well, no joy - how do I do the vinegar trick?
  • rodgers73 wrote:
    You can use white distilled vinegar, adding it to the washing machine and re-washing the jacket separately. However, not sure how your Assos warranty will be affected.

    well, no joy - how do I do the vinegar trick?

    Is this similar to the Vinegar Stroke?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    https://www.persil.co.uk/stain-removal-tips/

    Any use ? What was the jacket ? Was it new ?
  • rodgers73 wrote:
    You can use white distilled vinegar, adding it to the washing machine and re-washing the jacket separately. However, not sure how your Assos warranty will be affected.

    well, no joy - how do I do the vinegar trick?

    Is this similar to the Vinegar Stroke?

    put the clothing in a bucket/washing up bowl and cover with hot water and add half a cup of the white distilled vinegar, then leave to soak overnight.
  • debelidebeli Posts: 582
    If it's just sports kit, I'd leave it the colour it is. I imagoine you only wear it when exercising, so what's the problem if it's picked up some colour in the wash?

    If you really don't like the colour, wash it with a non-colourfast item whose colour you DO like, so it takes on that hue instead.

    But for sports kit, why bother?
  • Bleach !
  • robbo2011robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I thought pink was quite a fashionable colour for gear these days. Just look at Rapha :)

    I'd leave it as it is myself. Not worth the risk of trashing an expensive jacket by use of aggressive cleaning.
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,123
    With the possible exception of socks, I'd not risk buying any white cycling gear. White Assos gear would be a complete no-no. Too much oil / grease / road filth involved in cycling to keep white kit white for long.

    Care to name and shame the offending waterproof?? Might save others making the same mistake...
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    In Harrogate last year I saw a dude in a white or light coloured rapha top. It was absolutely minging. Oil marks and grime all over it. I'd not have used it to clean the bike - let alone be seen in public wearing it.

    I guess when you've paid that much for it - you want the wear out of it.
  • cougie wrote:
    In Harrogate last year I saw a dude in a white or light coloured rapha top. It was absolutely minging. Oil marks and grime all over it. I'd not have used it to clean the bike - let alone be seen in public wearing it.

    I guess when you've paid that much for it - you want the wear out of it.

    Probably didn't buy it new. More likely bought it really cheap on ebay and wears it to make people think he can afford it.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    cougie wrote:
    In Harrogate last year I saw a dude in a white or light coloured rapha top. It was absolutely minging. Oil marks and grime all over it. I'd not have used it to clean the bike - let alone be seen in public wearing it.

    I guess when you've paid that much for it - you want the wear out of it.

    Probably didn't buy it new. More likely bought it really cheap on ebay and wears it to make people think he can afford it.

    LOL Sums up Rapha quite nicely that people would do that, or even think of doing that.
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 362
    If you are washing white things with red things you really need a bit of a talking to.
    Ask your mother for advice before washing anything else.
  • w00dsterw00dster Posts: 879
    Jeez some judgemental people about.
    I have some old beaten up Rapha jerseys, in white. Yeah it's now covered in grime, old oil stains etc. I also have a lot of new Rapha kit, I'm very lucky in that I am in a position where I can pick and choose what clothing I want to purchase and not worry about the cost. I have beaten up old team jerseys as well, these also got a decent amount of "bike time".
    I ride every day regardless of the weather, my clothes will reflect this. My beaten up Rapha Jerseys show how many miles I ride. Next time I'm in my old Rapha Jersey I'll be thinking everyone will be looking at me and judging my final position.
    And why does it sum Rapha up nicely? They're just a brand, they don't dictate the type of person who wears their clothing.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    w00dster wrote:
    And why does it sum Rapha up nicely? They're just a brand, they don't dictate the type of person who wears their clothing.

    Because some people seem to (as the post was suggesting) want it as a status symbol more than a ride bonus.

    Rapha try very hard to dictate who should aspire to wear their clothing don't they?

    Whether you feel people are judging you and whether that bothers you is up to you.
    If I had any major Rapha stuff I would not give a monkeys what people thought.
    Although the brand image they have created and peoples reaction to it is a big part of whats stopping me having any.
  • rodgers73rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Its an Assos 851 Air jacket in white - £185 worth, so this is a bit of a sting. Bought the white version for increased visibility in winter when I expected to be using it.

    I tried the vinegar trick for about 2 hours. Is it safe to leave it overnight? I lost my nerve and fished it out in case of damage to stitching etc.

    The offending waterproof is an Altura Evo Night Vision and its been through the wash before with no colour run. This was a 30 degree wash so not exactly an expected outcome!
  • debeli wrote:
    If it's just sports kit, I'd leave it the colour it is. I imagoine you only wear it when exercising, so what's the problem if it's picked up some colour in the wash?

    If you really don't like the colour, wash it with a non-colourfast item whose colour you DO like, so it takes on that hue instead.

    But for sports kit, why bother?

    Cycling is based on form, on aesthetics, on the way you carry yourself on the bike, the technique you have.
    What you wear is part of this.
    To some.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
    rodgers73 wrote:
    You can use white distilled vinegar, adding it to the washing machine and re-washing the jacket separately. However, not sure how your Assos warranty will be affected.

    well, no joy - how do I do the vinegar trick?

    Is this similar to the Vinegar Stroke?

    put the clothing in a bucket/washing up bowl and cover with hot water and add half a cup of the white distilled vinegar, then leave to soak overnight.

    ...after doing this hang it out in the sun(big hot yellow thing), the sun then reacts with the acetic acid to 'bleach' the material.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Maybe where you are...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    w00dster wrote:
    Jeez some judgemental people about.
    I have some old beaten up Rapha jerseys, in white. Yeah it's now covered in grime, old oil stains etc. I also have a lot of new Rapha kit, I'm very lucky in that I am in a position where I can pick and choose what clothing I want to purchase and not worry about the cost. I have beaten up old team jerseys as well, these also got a decent amount of "bike time".
    I ride every day regardless of the weather, my clothes will reflect this. My beaten up Rapha Jerseys show how many miles I ride. Next time I'm in my old Rapha Jersey I'll be thinking everyone will be looking at me and judging my final position.
    And why does it sum Rapha up nicely? They're just a brand, they don't dictate the type of person who wears their clothing.

    Entirely up to you of course - but heading out in a jersey covered in oil stains just looks scruffy. This particular top was absolutely filthy. No idea how you could get that much oil on a jersey without being a real klutz. And if you have plenty to choose from - why would you wear the dirty one ?
  • Dirty, and worn-out are two very different things.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    In Harrogate last year I saw a dude in a white or light coloured rapha top. It was absolutely minging. Oil marks and grime all over it. I'd not have used it to clean the bike - let alone be seen in public wearing it.

    I guess when you've paid that much for it - you want the wear out of it.

    Probably didn't buy it new. More likely bought it really cheap on ebay and wears it to make people think he can afford it.

    LOL Sums up Rapha quite nicely that people would do that, or even think of doing that.

    Hang on, SDW put this up as (jokey?) speculation and then you jump on it as if it's reality?
Sign In or Register to comment.