Places to stay/eat Florence

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited February 2015 in The cake stop
Thinking I'll go to Florence for a long weekend some point in March. Any suggestions for hotels or apartments and your favourite trattorias etc?

No cycling this is just books and rest and meandering around for what will probably be 1
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717
    It was 13 years ago so the memory is stretched, and things may have changed.

Out favourite back street trattoria was in a side street leading north, towards the east end of Piazza della Signoria.
    Looking at Google Maps, it may have been Osteria Vini e Vecchi Sapon.

I would also recommend a walk south over the Ponte Vecchio through the gardens to Forte Belvedere and then up to the top of the hill at Piazzale Michelangelo for a view over the city.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Flâneur
    Thank you PB
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • sa0u823e wrote:
    Thinking I'll go to Florence for a long weekend some point in March. Any suggestions for hotels or apartments and your favourite trattorias etc?

No cycling this is just books and rest and meandering around for what will probably be 1

It's a fantastic place but finding decent mid-price restaurants is a real challenge.
    You can go high end and get something good - but most restaurants around the centre, and even over the river, are not good value at all in our experience.
    Don't really have a recommendation but think the better places are probably over the river in Oltrarno, in the streets around Piazzas Carmine and San Spirito.
    In fact if we went again I would stay in that part of town because that is where the best bars are and it's a bit more 'real', less crowded with tourists, only a short walk back over the river to get to Duomo etc:
    http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/ ... ism-revamp
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    sa0u823e wrote:

Am going in Sept. Mrs Goo booked thru the BA website. Decent flights and hotel, Monna Lisa I think.

Please post up any decent eateries you find out there. Cheers.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Flâneur
    Will do, I just booked through the BA site too, add more air miles to the ones I already don't spend
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stayed at Hotel Carregi (March last year) , 10 minute (1E) bus ride from centre. Paid 60E night for double room + b&b. I only do budget hotels and this was good, we were the only english people there. I wanted one with car park as central Florence is a parking nightmare. Fantastic pizza place nearby. Lots of expensive very poor rip-off food to be had in the tourist centre. We hired a car at Bologna airport for an amazing £16 a day, so also went to Sienna and San Gimignano which I recommend. Drove round countryside nearby, Fiesole has fantastic views of Florence.
    Hills do make I sweat a lot
  • If you have a smart phone you can download the offline guide from trip advisor (free), it shows you where the good restaurants and attractions are in proximity to your location using GPS (no roaming charges)
    Florence itself is a gorgeous city and one that you end up roaming around staring up at all the architecture and statues, I think I preferred it to Rome.
  • We stayed in a excellent apartment in the Via Magazzini, just off the Palazzo Vecchio, Mrs Oakley found it on Trip Advisor, when we visited for my 50th a couple of years ago. Centrally situated and excellent value for money. Leave me a message and I'll send you the details, plus some hints and tips.

.....'time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana...'
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    If you want to go to a museum usually a good idea to book in advance, no queues that way
    http://www.florence-museum.com/
    you could stay here, the owner Theresa, does cooking lessons, then you get to eat it (close to airport)
    http://smallandeleganthotels.com/destin ... -florence/
    you could eat here:- http://www.4leoni.it/4Leoni/en/the-trattoria/