Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

Suggestions for XS 26" HT frame?

othelloothello Posts: 577
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a new frame for my son, and am really struggling to find one that meets the criteria I've set!

He currently rides a 13" Specialised Rockhopper comp, circa 2009 (ish). He is starting to have a lot of seatpost showing, but the main issue has always been the geometry on the Spesh, which has a really big head tube.

So I'm looking for a replacement (plus its his birthday!).

Size: XS i.e 14", 14.5" or even a small 15"
Hard tail
26" wheels
Lightweight. He is quite scrawny and I don't want to put him on a tank. He doesn't need AM tough frames.
Not mega expensive, though he does have great kit hanging on the current frame (Stans wheels, XT, SID forks etc).

Any ideas? I'm not really seeing much in 26" wheels (obviously).
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

Posts

  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    You looking to buy new or used?

    The 16" Carrera HT frame is fairly short as it comes with an offset post as standard, go inline and it should suite fairly well, the older frames (circa 2003-7) are pretty light as well.
  • On One Inbred 14"
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • othelloothello Posts: 577
    The Rookie wrote:
    You looking to buy new or used?

    The 16" Carrera HT frame is fairly short as it comes with an offset post as standard, go inline and it should suite fairly well, the older frames (circa 2003-7) are pretty light as well.

    I don't mind used! Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • othelloothello Posts: 577
    On One Inbred 14"

    Ticks plenty of boxes but isn't that light (though I guess the 14" will be OK).
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • GiraffotoGiraffoto Posts: 2,078
    How old/how tall is he?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • othelloothello Posts: 577
    Giraffoto wrote:
    How old/how tall is he?

    He is 10 and I'm not sure on height. The geometry on the Rockhopper is a bit old skool with a long head tube and quite long top tube. His sisters 14" Sube is much shorter in the top and head tube. She is the same height as him, even though she is 8 and a half and I'm currently swapping her parts onto a 14" On-One Scandal 26 which has a bit more reach than the Cube.

    If On-one still made the Scandal (in 26") I would get one of those as it would be perfect.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • GiraffotoGiraffoto Posts: 2,078
    othello wrote:
    If On-one still made the Scandal (in 26") I would get one of those as it would be perfect.

    I thought the geometry of the Inbred is more or less identical - the Scandal was the aluminium version. The Parkwood which seems to replace it looks as if it would offer even more standover clearance.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • othelloothello Posts: 577
    Giraffoto wrote:
    othello wrote:
    If On-one still made the Scandal (in 26") I would get one of those as it would be perfect.

    I thought the geometry of the Inbred is more or less identical - the Scandal was the aluminium version. The Parkwood which seems to replace it looks as if it would offer even more standover clearance.

    The only negative about the Inbred is the weight (quite a bit more than the scandal).

    The parkwood is a 29er I think?
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • GiraffotoGiraffoto Posts: 2,078
    othello wrote:
    The parkwood is a 29er I think?

    Good point. It is.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
Sign In or Register to comment.