Garmin edge. Which one?

M1llh0use
M1llh0use Posts: 863
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Seems that I've got a possibility of a chunk of money off of any garmin device through a work promotion. I've currently got an edge 500 that's pretty beaten up but the prospect of shiny new is not to be avoided!

What do you lot use and why?
{insert smartarse comment here}

Comments

• my 500 is dying on its ass. i bought a 'new' 810 and quite liked it but it wasn't new so sending it back. saw a 1000 and ordered one so awaiting its arrival this week.
    the 810 seemed great but i only took it out twice. it was so eas to et up and use and it hooked up to the satellites so quickly (20 seconds or so) that my 500 took 2 mins sometimes. its a world of difference IMO so i cant wait for my new toy to arrive.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Anyone know if there is likely to be a new 510/810 (520/820???) released anytime soon?
  • I suspect there might be an update to the Edge 510/810 this summer. By then they will be 2 1/2 years old and as the Edge 1000 (even with all its flaws) has shown, the technology in those just isn't that cutting edge any more. With all the hot new products that they're pumping out at the moment I'm sure they want to give one of their most popular lines a revamp.

And before everyone gets all up on their high horses and "back-in-my-day-blah-blah-blah", I still use my positively ancient Edge 800 and am very happy with it!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I just use a 500 set to update position once a second and it works well for me. I don't need it to navigate for me.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    By then they will be 2 1/2 years old and as the Edge 1000 (even with all its flaws) has shown, the technology in those just isn't that cutting edge any more.

The 1000 has naff all that the 810 doesn't have (aside from the useful secondary function as a sunshade!). For the most part, I struggle to see the point of both the 510 and the 810. If Garmin have any sense, any new devices will go the other way to the 1000 and go small and relatively simple.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I only asked because my 500 has seen better days and looking to possible upgrade. 500 has been great so logically looking at the 510 as probably don't really need the mapping etc on 810/1000 but don't want to get the 510 and a few months later a new model comes out so probably best hanging on until summer.

I agree the 500 is perfect size, 1000 just seems ridiculous!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I only asked because my 500 has seen better days and looking to possible upgrade. 500 has been great so logically looking at the 510 as probably don't really need the mapping etc on 810/1000 but don't want to get the 510 and a few months later a new model comes out so probably best hanging on until summer.

I'm not sure I really see the point of the 510. It's enormous for what it is - not that much smaller than an 810 or even that much cheaper irrc. I'm sure that set up is easier on the 510 than the 500 but how often do you need to do that?

But as for new devices - if you wait til Garmin releases a new model you'll be suffering for months whilst they sort it out trying to make it work properly. You might be better off just waiting for a nice bargain from the current range to come along. Or just polish out the scratches in your 500 with T cut! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I only asked because my 500 has seen better days and looking to possible upgrade. 500 has been great so logically looking at the 510 as probably don't really need the mapping etc on 810/1000 but don't want to get the 510 and a few months later a new model comes out so probably best hanging on until summer.

I'm not sure I really see the point of the 510. It's enormous for what it is - not that much smaller than an 810 or even that much cheaper irrc. I'm sure that set up is easier on the 510 than the 500 but how often do you need to do that?

But as for new devices - if you wait til Garmin releases a new model you'll be suffering for months whilst they sort it out trying to make it work properly. You might be better off just waiting for a nice bargain from the current range to come along. Or just polish out the scratches in your 500 with T cut! :lol:

Yep was thinking more along the lines of getting the 510 cheaper unless the replacement is smaller and offers a lot more. I did think about just buying another 500.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Same boat as you, had the 500 since it was released(didn't have to many problems). Waiting as they should be putting the recovery adviser from the forerunner,fenix on the next gen of cycling computers. For me think it should be 1000 sized with mapping and 500 size without, think the 810 is the odd one out
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Am I alone in thinking the 1000 is a really good piece of kit?