...but only as a member of the Almaty winter Olympic bid:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/ ... ZV20150220

So he can spend more time in cycling, maybe. :roll:

Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Think he was pushed rather than...stepped...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    ddraver wrote:
    Think he was pushed rather than...stepped...

Either way, it's a step in the right direction....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    The sooner people from the EPO era are out of the sport the better. Same applies to Riis et al.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Gweeds wrote:
    The sooner people from the EPO era are out of the sport the better. Same applies to Riis et al.

Whilst I agree with some of that, are there enough clean people waiting in the background to take up all those positions
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    sherer wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Whilst I agree with some of that, are there enough clean people waiting in the background to take up all those positions

It's not practical. Those in the EPO era had very little choice, they could either follow suit or get left behind. What is needed is a clean break, learn from experience and punish those who continue to get involved very hard indeed. It's moving in the right direction but still far too many loopholes and ways of doing it.
  • gweeds
    So with the countless doping issues at Saxo and Astana (Riis and Vino), are they providing a clean break?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • joelsim
    Gweeds wrote:
    So with the countless doping issues at Saxo and Astana (Riis and Vino), are they providing a clean break?

Obviously not. But it isn't just them. When there is a way to get around detection people will do it unfortunately. And there are still myriad ways to do that in my opinion. Yes of course there are some clean people in the sport nowadays as the benefits don't appear to be anywhere near as great as 20 years ago. But take a look at Padua etc and dodgy business isn't confined to Vino and Riis.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Joelsim wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Obviously not. But it isn't just them. When there is a way to get around detection people will do it unfortunately. And there are still myriad ways to do that in my opinion. Yes of course there are some clean people in the sport nowadays as the benefits don't appear to be anywhere near as great as 20 years ago. But take a look at Padua etc and dodgy business isn't confined to Vino and Riis.

As Armstrong said once, the UCI had their doctors, the teams have theirs and the teams ones are a step ahead. Until that changes there will always be cheats.

There do seem to be less superhuman performances these days and when there are (Tour of Turkey the other year springs to mind) they seem to be caught fairly quickly
  • gweeds
    Joelsim wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Agreed.

I have a significant problem with the double standards here (not from you - from the UCi/sport etc).

Armstrong - life ban. Absolutely nailed to the wall.

Riis et al - running teams
  • joelsim
    Gweeds wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Agreed.

I have a significant problem with the double standards here (not from you - from the UCi/sport etc).

Armstrong - life ban. Absolutely nailed to the wall.

Riis et al - running teams

Give Cookson time. I'm confident that he will do as much as he is able to, unlike previous regimes.