Portsmouth Seafront cycle lanes.

peat
peat Posts: 1,242
edited February 2015 in Commuting general
Visited some friends at the weekend, took the bike for a Sunday morning tootle up and down the seafront as the weather looked like it would be nice. It was. Anyway....

It's been about 10yrs since i rode a bike around there and they have implemented a whole load of new cycle infrastructure. Some good, some bad, some completely baffling.

There is a segregated 2-way lane, seaprated from the road by a row of parked cars. Good in principle, but it was littered in sand and sharp debris. Also, there were a number on choke points around furniture that offered no indication of which lane had priority. Pedestrians going to and from the cars take no notice of the cycle lane and walk out without looking. Glad i had a bell/set of lungs.

The bit around the old pier, heading East, has an odd junction arrangement separate from the road. Just seems very awkward and confusing. After working that one out, i noticed that the official cycle lane then went up on the pavement, only to terminate about 50yds later.

Nothing more than an observation and a grumble really. I'm not much of an urban cyclist so maybe i'm not the best judge, but it seemed very confusing as to where i 'should' be alot of the time. Can't I just stay on the road and be done with it??

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Peat wrote:
    Can't I just stay on the road and be done with it??
    Of course you can!

I find many off road cycles ways are better suited to 'pootlers' doing 4-6mph than keen cyclists, as such I avoid most of them round my way as being less safe than staying on the road.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.