Ukippers BBC2

debeli
debeli Posts: 583
edited February 2015 in The cake stop
That was quite a strange bit of television. I'm not sure why the local UKIP branch allowed it to be made, but they did.

It was all a little too Royston Vasey to be true, but I have a terrible feeling it was true - if well edited.

The Thanet chairman who had been a member of the NF in the past but hadn't realised at the time that it was a racist organisation. Beyond rubies and unscriptable....

The slightly unpleasant councillor who had no notion at all that her comments were unacceptable. I loved her later description of a Jew as (inter alia) 'having a curve to the nose'. Does she know any Jewish people? What is this 'curve to the nose', outside cheap Nazi propaganda and victorian literature?

I watched most of the show from behind my duvet. Farage looked embarrassed to be present - which is odd for a man so seemingly immune to embarrassment.

Did anyone come out of that show with any dignity, or indeed anything positive?

Bizarre, creepy, bored-blue-rinse and utterly unmissable television. I hope I never see its like again.

Will it dent UKIP's share of the vote? Not a bit. To many of their supporters, it represented the (Little) England of their dreams.

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    pretty well summed up, you just knew it was going to be car crash tv from the title 'you kippers', the demographic was as expected, narrow in both in both profile and thought. The Britain in their minds eye has long gone (if it ever existed) and won't be coming back.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Surprised they can do that in the run up to a General Election. Aren't all parties supposed to get equal TV and radio exposure?
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Pross wrote:
    Surprised they can do that in the run up to a General Election. Aren't all parties supposed to get equal TV and radio exposure?

They can show what they like until March 30 - which is the start of the "purdah" six-week period before the election when the publcicity rules come into force.

I think that Ukippers programme, fascinating but repellent, will boost Ukip's popularity. So many people still think like that councillor with her irrational dislike of people with "negroid" features and talking about Jews' "hooked noses". She was saying what many Ukippers think in their heart of hearts but are discouraged from saying aloud. Felt sorry for the poor press officer trying to keep a lid on the extreme stuff. She didn't appear to be racist.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I think that Ukippers programme, fascinating but repellent, will boost Ukip's popularity.

Lets hope the lardy and lazy can't be bothered to leave day time tv to go and the majority of this countries electorate can see past the smoke, fear and hate.

Is there a conspiracy theory about the plane crash Farage had during the last election?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Slowmart wrote:

Is there a conspiracy theory about the plane crash Farage had during the last election?

I'm sure Manc33 will be along in a mo to illuminate us.
  • slowmart
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    orraloon wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:

I'm sure Manc33 will be along in a mo to illuminate us.

He's cleaning the local branch of Tesco's out of Aluminium foil at the moment.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I in no way support UKIP or any of its politics. I appreciate that channel 4 is an independent and not a public broadcasting organisation. I do need to ask though, that this programme and the One on UKIP 100 days after the election ( which portrayed a country after a UKIP election win) were nothing more than a direct attack on a political party.

The UKIPers programme admittedly was letting them hang themselves with their own petard, but the 100 days one was basically slander. If any other Political party had have been portrayed in this way, there would have been outrage.

I believe all MPs act out of self interest and have no sense of public duty. I live in a seat that the incumbent Tory had to vacate after a cash for questions sting. The Tories just parachuted in their next progidy, who lives 200 miles away and has never lived or worked in the area, because they have a 12000 vote majority here.

We are now stuck with an M.P who conducts flying visits and held 100 surgeries in the different wards of the area which lasted a total of 20 minutes each, before returning to his Hertfordshire Pile.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Given some of the views expressed in the BBC programme, you could argue that the 100 Days drama was soft pedaling...
  • Well, yer 'Kip rose rapidly on a wave of positive-neutral media indulgence. It behoves a public service broadcaster to look beneath the surface of this as well.

The sheer horror as yer wan tried to explain that she wasn't using the word Negro in a racist way, and that it was merely a descriptor, whilst remaining utterly oblivious that it was her irrational dislike for people based on their race that was causing the problem, though. I felt bad for anyone belonging to her.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You forget the British like an underdog. In rounding on the UKIP maybe it will incite more floating voters to vote for them. People that think there aren't closet racists in every party are deluded. UKIP unfortunately for them, also have idiots that trust the camera is off when told it is whereas Labour, the Conservatives and Liberals know it will still be rolling and off the record comments mean no such thing.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Not surprising that the Beeb who are pro Brussels did this programme. If they had done same to Tories, Lab or Lib then I am sure there would have been hell to pay.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Not surprising that the Beeb who are pro Brussels did this programme. If they had done same to Tories, Lab or Lib then I am sure there would have been hell to pay.

when you say 'done the same' do you mean interview member's of the parties and show their views? I think they do that quite often.

They did themselves no favours.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • slowmart
    fruitcake_52490354.jpg

All the BBC have done is provide a public platform. If the members who have the privilege of using the platform to air their sincere political views whats wrong with that? Its a bit like here, a forum provided free as long as you not mind the occasional advert and abide by the rules.... :wink: The only thing is i doubt anyone would want to vote for cyclists as a political force with the views shared on here.

Anyway back to the OP. It's freedom of speech and helps provide a view past their Führer's personality or is that party leader....

Desmond Tutu
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Slowmart wrote:
    The only thing is i doubt anyone would want to vote for cyclists as a political force with the views shared on here

unless thy have floppy blond hair and an air of buffoonary about them
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Nice bunch of fruitcakes :D

Good fruit distribution.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    tim wand wrote:
    I in no...

The UKIPers programme admittedly was letting them hang themselves with their own petard, but the 100 days one was basically slander. If any other Political party had have been portrayed in this way, there would have been outrage.

...Hertfordshire Pile.

All newspapers origins were political. It was this vessel that was used to promote political parties. TV is just an extension of that if it is not publicly owned. Channel 4 have every right to attack any political organisation. It was them after all, who brought up the cash for questions scandal to the public eye - an attack on the Tories predominantly, contrary to your statement.
    So what does it matter? UKIP are a legitimate target for condemnation. The rise of UKIP will hopefully be curtailed by these sorts of programmes. If they have any legitimacy at all, they would withstand this conjecture. But they don't and they won't, so who cares? Political satire is part of the fabric of journalism in the UK and UKIP is a perfect source.

What comes through any political debate in here, is the sheer volume of cynicism towards politicians. In my role, I am often in contact with my local councillor, the regional MP and right up the ladder to Alex Ferguson MSP and speaker of the Scottish Parliament. I know just how hard some of them work. Not all of them I might add but a lot of them. I have been in contact with Patrick Harvey (who I think is a twunt BTW) quite a lot. As leader of the Greens in Scotland, I could not think of a worse one.

I spent an evening a year or so ago with a local councillor here (now retired) who got stick from the local press and the public after he stopped responding to stupid people who were, for example, calling him up at 2am because they had a burst pipe or their cat had gone missing.

The people get the government they deserve.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Didnt comment as it was on too late for my tired body last night

Oh my god! OH! MY! GOD!!

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHAAAAAAA

hoooooooo, shouldnt laugh really should we but Jesus how can somebody be that stupid?! I almost feel sorry for that poor press officer
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mr Goo wrote:

Yes. I remember the hell paid for Yes Minister and The Thick Of It, directly taking the hand out of the Government of the day.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    not to mention Spitting Image and the new statesman, put yourself up there you're fair game. Just watched the last of the 'Inside the commons' series, pretty obvious on that prog who were there to do a job for the people who elected them and who were just trying to further there own career, so up their own backsides it's unreal!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • The Kipper persecution complex is wide and deep.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Debeli wrote:
    The slightly unpleasant councillor who had no notion at all that her comments were unacceptable. I loved her later description of a Jew as (inter alia) 'having a curve to the nose'. Does she know any Jewish people? What is this 'curve to the nose', outside cheap Nazi propaganda and victorian literature?

I suspect (without watching it, that she was being derogatory, so the following is not in defence of the Ukipper.

I've had a few Jewish friend, visited Jewish neighbourhoods and family occasions, etc. and yes, they do generally have slightly bigger and more rounded noses than the white average. It is no more racist to notice this than it is to notice that East Asians and blacks tend to have smaller, flatter noses than whites, because the important thing to remember is that... it really doesn't matter. It doesn't make them better or worse people, it just means their noses are generally a slightly different size and shape.

The fact that anti-Semites have in the past picked up on these differences and used them in a quite irrational and venomous way doesn't mean that the differences don't exist, it just means that we should learn to accept them.