How often do Canyon change GBP prices?

spanner239
spanner239 Posts: 181
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Just wandered how regularly (if at all) Canyon change their Sterling prices? As an example the Endurace CF frame is Euro 999 but GBP 899. The price at a reasonable rate should be about GBP 750 max! I presume you can't pay in Euro if shipping to the UK?

Comments

• I e-mailed Canyon about this and was told:

"The rates are updated at the start of the each season. We are not going to update our prices until we release our 2016 models in later this year."

With the huge difference at the moment it seems worth hanging on for a 2016 bike. Shame really.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Shame Canyon don't offer the opportunity to pay in Euro like Rose does.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    For the higher value items it can actually be worth flying over to Germany and collecting from a local address if you can find one...
  • Their argument, which I can kind of see, is they only charge you when they ship your bike. If you elect to pay in Euro and they then take six month to fulfill the order you'll get charged a completely different amount in GBP than you were expecting. Doesn't really stack up though when they've got the model in stock and you're basically being ripped off.

As an extreme example, a Speedmax CF 9.0 LTD would set you back £6,599 if paying in GBP. The same model is €6,999 which is £5,167 at today's Visa rate. That's a whopping £1,432 difference.
  • I really can't understand why they are unwilling to let you pay in Euro, surely it is easier for them to not have the hassle of receiving GBP which they then need to convert. The cynic in me wanders whether they would be so keen on sticking to the "setting the price at the start of the season only" policy if the exchange rate had moved the other way.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    They used to vary their prices according to the exchange rates but got too many complaints from those who lost out as the rate was dropping then.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • It sounds like the policy has changed, I bough a Canyon Ultimate AL in 2013 and the price changed frequently based on the exchange rate.

They always do a sale around the TdF, bit of a wait if you want it now though.
    2013 Canyon Ultimate AL 7.0
    2003 Specialized Allez Sport
  • am7
    am7 Posts: 59
    With the weak euro it is a no brainer to order from Germany and pick it up or ship to the UK
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    am7 wrote:
    With the weak euro it is a no brainer to order from Germany and pick it up or ship to the UK

You would need a German address surely?
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Happy to provide a French address in exchange for Marmite, PG Tips and Double Deckers....!
  • am7
    am7 Posts: 59
    Miles253 wrote:
    You would need a German address surely?
    Obviously. I have a friend in Germany, I use my visa details with his german address on my purchases and he ships or brings me back the goods. No issues whatsoever. Before ordering I notify the seller to make sure it will be ok but so far none had a problem with it including Canyon.
  • Like am7, i also do something similar. Ive got a friend in ireland (southern) who buys in euro's, then ships it to me..
  • Kind of makes you think Canyon are doing something wrong on the customer service front when people have to start getting bikes delivered to friends in other countries to get round what is a pretty unfair pricing policy.
  • It does put me off Canyon that I could save 400 quid/15% on the bike of theirs that appeals most if I lived 20 miles up the road. Yes, I could get it shipped to a buddy in Dublin or somesuch workaround, but I shouldn't really have to.
  • I was going to get a Canyon mountain bike this season, but will just wait for the 2016 models which will be updated component wise and theoretically cheaper. Or I'll buy something else or find a workaround.

I can understand it is difficult for them with the currency moving but they could update pricing mid-year if they wanted to. I doubt they have fully hedge for the year, so once they have the cost of that covered they could update pricing.

Maybe they will have better sales prices/earlier sale this year, I'm sure that is one way round it.
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......