Circa 3k Trail Bike - Santa Cruz, Giant or Whyte!

2»

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'd agree with what Paul says. I much, much preferred the 5010 to the Bronson and I'm very keen to try the Scout out, heck if they did a carbon one I'd have probably got one!
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    The scout frame is very light imo. I was surprised!
    I think all in it weighs 14kg. Not actually weighed it but thats according to the transition website
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • ZeeSaffa
    ZeeSaffa Posts: 68
    bdigital wrote:

This weekend im riding the Whyte T130 Works SCR. Which beats the Santa Cruz for spec and price, but i cant say im as excited about it as the Santa Cruz. Il be riding both the 5010 and the Bronson next Friday.

Did you try the T130?

Thoughts.
  • bdigital
    bdigital Posts: 193
    edited March 2015
    Right, time for an update! Ive been out and about riding all sorts of bikes and well...... I still need some help!

Demo Day 1 - Whyte Wins

Bronson - Liked it, but it wasnt love at first sight. I was in deepcut Surrey and the Bronson was twice the bike I needed for this particular trail.

5010 - Felt immediatley more spritley and manouravble than the bronson, but definatley lost some confidence on the down hill parts.

Whyte T130 SCR Works - This one won the day. It was as agile + manovourable as the 5010 but not as scary! I felt a bit more stable on this bike. The Pikes up front and the Guide RS brakes were the stand out differences in components, was very impressed. Only downside is a) not so keen on the look of the bike and b) would prefer 140mm + travel so that ive got it in the locker if I need it (thinking wales next year!)

Demo Day 2 - Bronson wins

5010 - 2nd time on the bike. This time up Surrey Hills doing Yoghurt Pot and Barry Knows Best. Very responsive, pedals great and lots of fun. Couldnt fault it.

Bronson - Expecting to find it a bit sluggish and slow I was pleasantly suprised. Climbing was great, and I had much more confidence on the trail, even found myself going for jumps that I avoided on the 5010. Overall I came away having ruled out the 5010. Bronson wins

Demo Day 3 - Nobody wins

Scott Genius 720 Carbon - Great bike with cool tech but........ I found it boring! It did everything I wanted without breaking a sweat but it didnt really show of in any area except for being really light.

Current situation!

1) I am going to demo the trance again (Demo bike is Trance 2)

2) I am going to demo the T130 SCR Works again in early April

3)Im totally torn now between a Bronson C, or a Giant Trance Advanced 1.

The Bronson has the looks, but the Giant has the carbon rims :)

Which would you choose!
  • tobamory
    tobamory Posts: 101
    Cant agree more, being an owner of a 5010 its more point and shoot very good, But for anything worthy its 4k plus, and in your case budget isn't there, unless Interest free is your friend here.

For the money VS kit then Trance 1, if you creep up to solo your coming close to giant reign very good kit and nice bike.

As for the above review i felt the same i already had the solo and then demoed a Bronson for the wife, i seemed to climb a lot easier, maybe psychological but nice.

Can comment on the whytes etc,

so my view.
    Trance 1 or reign if you want all mountain stuff.
    Solo Interest free upgrade forks to 140MM like i did and anything you can get, Carbon if possible i got alloy and it flys.
  • bdigital
    bdigital Posts: 193
    Thought i would update this thread. After numerous demos, much research and deliberation.....ive got myself a Bronson.

Ive put a few rides together and I couldn't be happier. Its strong, pedals great, stable, manoeuvrable and loads of fun.

Thanks all for your contributions