Are drones the future for tv transmissions of races?

hommelbier
hommelbier Posts: 1,555
edited February 2015 in Pro race
Today’s poor live coverage of the Tour de Haut Var, which seemed to be via a lone cameraman badly positioned on the finish line, is maybe explained by that the original intention by FR3 was to use a camera drone to follow the race beaming back pictures for the tv transmission. It looks like poor weather might have caused this to have abandoned.

However it seems likely that we will see this type of technology used more often in the future.

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/ ... 59475.html

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    I think we'll start to see drones in just about everything, but there's certainly a lot of potential in cycling.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Very much OT, but did they use drones in the Top Gear Christmas Special?

Some of the shots, I could only imagine they were created by drones, as they started lower than a heli could get, but went up higher than a crane could have
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    It's against CAA rules to use drones like this. Too much potential for horrible injury or worse. Proper operators can tell you that they can't legally fly in winds above (I think) 13mph, or above mass participation events, or members of the public, etc, etc, etc.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    phil s wrote:
    It's against CAA rules to use drones like this. Too much potential for horrible injury or worse. Proper operators can tell you that they can't legally fly in winds above (I think) 13mph, or above mass participation events, or members of the public, etc, etc, etc.

Do the CAA have any say in what goes on in Franceland? I thought they were UK only?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    The drone of cycling is very much present.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • phil s
    marcusjb wrote:

Do the CAA have any say in what goes on in Franceland? I thought they were UK only?

I doubt the rules will be far different. Some of them may seem a bit OTT but they're there to protect folk.
  • Am sure it would encourage a lot of copy cat behaviour like this... might get messy.. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IIk8F1Tcd8
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    phil s wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:

I doubt the rules will be far different. Some of them may seem a bit OTT but they're there to protect folk.

Given that France 3 were going to use them for the Haut Var event I guess the rules are different.

To use a drone to cover a French sporting event the pilot needs a license, to be registered with the DGAC and to have received permission to cover the event. If the drone is used out of site the pilot needs a full aircraft pilots license. The drone must have a parachute.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    davidof wrote:
    phil s wrote:
    marcusjb wrote:

Given that France 3 were going to use them for the Haut Var event I guess the rules are different.

To use a drone to cover a French sporting event the pilot needs a license, to be registered with the DGAC and to have received permission to cover the event. If the drone is used out of site the pilot needs a full aircraft pilots license. The drone must have a parachute.

Despite efforts by EASA to harmonise regulation across Europe, the aviation rules in France are considerably more relaxed than over here. Different story in Italy and Germany though.
  • “Did they use drones in Top Gear?” Yes.

Lots of drone work here, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_IQS3VKjA
  • phil s wrote:
    Only a matter of time before over-enthusiastic roadside fans ignore these.
  • phil s
    murf1480 wrote:

"Awesome"? What exactly did that show? Pretty sure that would count as an illegal flight as well if the CAA looked at it.