DT Swiss R23 Spline

Jimbeam3678
Jimbeam3678 Posts: 54
edited April 2017 in Workshop
So I have these wheels on my Kinesis http://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/Road-W...ne/R-23-Spline they have done 750 miles in the winter months.

Just being cleaning it and I noticed a very small movement on the rear wheel maybe 1mm each way, any thoughts on what wrong and are these things serviceable ?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• What is movement? Play in the hub or out of true?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Play in the hub , there are no visible cones too tighten either
  • Play in the hub , there are no visible cones too tighten either

Very few hubs still use cones. Looks like your bearings are due for replacement. By turning the hub manually you should also feel significant roughness
  • Should the bearings need replacing after 750 miles? Is it expensive job if I get bike shop to do it ?
  • Should the bearings need replacing after 750 miles? Is it expensive job if I get bike shop to do it ?

Bearings can last 30 miles or 30,000... there isn't a rule. Of course the more you spend the more you buy, but I have seen high end hubs going wrong after hundreds of miles, rather than thousands. Riding in a wet winter doesn't help.
    Budget bearings cost less than a fiver each and there are 4 inside a rear hub... you might need 1, 2 or 4... and I expect a shop to charge around 20 pounds of labour, more or less.
    They are consumables and not covered by a warranty, but asking costs nothing
  • Thanks for the information much appreciated, just checked the wheel and it seems to spin up OK and there isn't any roughness. I'll take it in anyway and see what they say.

Out of interest when does a hub need replacing I.E what has to go wrong with it?
  • jerehada
    jerehada Posts: 24
    I have these on my Canyon Endurance. I am on my 3rd set of rear bearings in about 3k miles. The replacement was done by an approved Canyon service agent, the second I asked my local bike shop to fit the best non ceramic bearings they could get hold of. No difference less than 1k miles and they creak. Hard to diagnose on Endurance for all money it sounds like a bottom bracket but its those R23 bearings again :( If anyone has a fix let me know. Makes them expensive wheels to run. Although I like their comfort and finish.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    I have R23s on my Rose, probably done in excess of 5000 miles (mostly dry but have been caught out a few times) and still as smooth as when I got them. As Ugo says, pot luck on how long they keep going.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )