Thieves at it again.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited February 2015 in Pro race
Danish team Cult energy pro cycling can take no further part in the Tour De Haut Var after there trailer was broken into and all bikes and equipment stolen on Saturday night, Sunday morning. Despite parking a car against the rear of the trailer thieves still somehow managed to get into the trailer and steal everything inside.
The teams participation in next weeks Omloop Het Nieuwsblad is very much in doubt said team member Michael Skelde. :cry:
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• Amazing. Nice as the South of France is, it sure is bandit country, crime is rife.

Best thing would be to back the lorry against a wall surely, or two lorries backed up to each other?
  • I heard from someone the other day where he mentioned his (expensive) car had been stolen in the South of France, by a professional gang of thieves who stole his wife's handbag.

They then followed them to the hotel and used the spare car key to pinch the car as they had their dinner in the hotel.

These guys are pros
  • You never hear about these gangs being caught - makes you wonder how seriously the police take it.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Or indeed where the bikes go. They can't be easy to shift with team livery on them without being noticed. What are the teams that have been robbed so far in the last couple of years? Some were quite high profile weren't they?
  • Garmin had theirs pinched last year at the Tour of the Med IIRC.

In my story above, the car was split up for parts and sold that way, and it wouldn't surprise me if they did the same with the bikes
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,701
    I heard from someone the other day where he mentioned his (expensive) car had been stolen in the South of France, by a professional gang of thieves who stole his wife's handbag.

They then followed them to the hotel and used the spare car key to pinch the car as they had their dinner in the hotel.

These guys are pros

If they put that much effort into a real job.... :roll:
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

You serious, boss?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Macaloon wrote:

You serious, boss?

Think Rick's referring to a job in the City - where the ability to "acquisition" under the nose of the previous owner, then strip and dismantle a product (before flogging it on again)- are valued attributes.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

You serious, boss?

Think Rick's referring to a job in the City - where the ability to "acquisition" under the nose of the previous owner, then strip and dismantle a product (before flogging it on again)- are valued attributes.

All that graft freighting duff insurance policies. Miss Selling worked her *ss off.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Chinese cycling team have had their track bikes nicked at the World Champs. Now they'll be hard to shift I bet.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Sportive are targeted around Europe but these thefts I guess are bad for publicity and are kept quiet.

A garage full of top end bikes was stolen at the Marmotte from Chateau d'Oz yet they still claim to have secure bike storage and don't have adequate insurance.

Be very careful, especially now people seem to recognise just how expensive bikes are.