Vorsprung Corset

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
As some of you may have seen this was released the other day
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/new-vorspr ... -2015.html

Sounds good in theory and I would be interested to try one..

Anyone with a good knowledge of suspension, would this concept work well in theory with a linkage driven single pivot/transition covert?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It depends on what bike it is and how you want the bike to ride, after all on one hand we have the fox volume reducers on the other hand the larger volume RS Debonair, both achieve different things and both can be the right choice.

The biggest benefit I can see with that is a claimed reduction in 'stiction' the force required to start a shock moving, this is an issue with air sprung shocks as the seals that hold the air pressure create that stiction, and it's what Kashima coating is designed to help with for example (as well as moving friction), it doesn't say if that graph is from a stnd or Kashima shock or which was then used for the corset (cynical hat on!).

The Fox spring curve in the example can't be right for all Fox as they have different sized cans precisely to shape that curve, so which can is that curve? I'm also slightly suspicious of the data in that it doesn't look 'right' (stand out being that the initial gradient on the corset has to be higher that that based on their own graph above it) but without hard numbers it's hard to be sure. Some of the claims are marketing bunkum, for example 'more mid stroke support' when the graph shows the fox has the higher spring force mid stroke!

That said it's a good price if you want to update a Fox that needs a full service anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    There's also a story on PB about the latest prototype Fox shocks, which seem to have exactly that sort of air-can on them. It does seem to make sense, but impossible to say whether it would work for a "linkage driven single pivot" without knowing what the linkage is actually doing.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    depends if you bottom out regularly at the sag setting to give good small bump sensitivity.
  • The Rookie
    My linkage driven SP uses the linkage to create a near consistent wheel stroke to shock stroke ratio, something that non linkage driven don't achieve either having a rising (least worst), falling (not ideal) or a mid range switch from one to the other (definitely not a good idea).

My 5th Element feels very different to the Fox before it, certainly better at the start of the travel and has a good pedal platform, but havn't given it enough of a workout to see what it's like at the end of the travel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ej2320
    Rookie, I see what you mean by the graphs.. It appears that the force needed to compress in the mid stoke isn't any better. Although Vorsprung do say a higher pressure will be needed meaning there would naturally be some more mid stroke support I guess.

I like my Covert, but having a very active linkage and myself being a rider who pushes hard I have noticed it tends to sit around 50-60% travel and does wallow a bit.. but doesn't bottom out harshly as there is a volume reducer in already. So normally I do run my shock in a higher compression setting to counter it.. That why I'm tempted to try it. Plus I need a full service anyway so now seems like a better time as any.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A lot of people seem to be fitting high volume air shocks and the first thing they do to reduce the volume with spacers.
  • ej2320
    mine was a factory tune but I get your point
  • The Rookie
    Well if large volume is good and volume reducers are good, the two together must be the best right......oh hang on....

The is no right and wrong answer, it depends on the bike (wheel to shock ratio and linearity of that ratio) rider preferences and riding style....

As for getting it fitted to yours, I'd suggest reading some reviews first and then deciding if it's what you want.
  • ej2320
    I'm guessing the main reason mine came with a spacer as factory tune is due to the tendency of the frame to use its travel very easily.

I'm thinking it would be worth getting one for my bike however, as said, when the sag is set right when in descent setting it can use all the travel too easily so I almost always run it in trail setting to add some compression damping. If it adds some mid stroke support as well I can only see that as a perk
  • The Rookie
    In theory the corset would help as you could increase the preload pressure and have the same spring rate through the opening stage which would give you more at the top end.