Cycling in Amsterdam???

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited February 2015 in Tour & expedition
So I went to Amsterdam for 3 days, I didn't cycle, I did not want to without knowing the roads, I'm probably going to go back at some point and try to see more and ride a bike.

I can't quite understand anything but riding in a straight line or turning right. I guess if I'm turning right, anyone from my left or from straight on has to give way and let me go, or if anyone is coming from my right, unless I'm turning right, I have to let them go.

But turning left? How does that work, I understand that anyone from the left would have to give way to you, but drivers coming from straight on? If they're going straight on, or turning, who does what to left turning cyclist?

It's probably obvious but it seems confusing, and when it comes to trams, I guess regardless of green light, gotta let tram go past or get squashed?

The locals seem like nutters some of them, riding down the road with their heads in their iPhone, riding none handed, on pavements, or no lights in the dark, or bikes falling apart.

I guess their is no Strava segments too, as the speed limit is like 20mph?

Comments

• Cycling in Amsterdam is great fun, just avoid trams like the plague. They will not stop!

I can't remember the rules, but I think in most of mainland Europe there is priority to vehicles from the right.
  • I've lived there for nearly 1.5 years now and commute with the hoards.

I'm slightly confused by your comments about turning left or right. In much of Amsterdam, bike are controlled by lights and the cycle lanes form part of the footpaths. You cycle on the same side as the traffic flowing in that direction (ie the right) in most instances. You also share the paths with scooters (theoretically limited to 25kmh but few are in practice) and mini, mobility-style, cars.

I guess what you are referring to is the side streets next to the canals and, yes, there's generally priority to the right. All of that said, the locals tend to take a reasonably "pragmatic" view of the rules and everyone looks after themselves.

Where it gets a bit messy is where your cycle lane crosses another cycle lane and only one of them is controlled by lights. There's a bit of an unwritten rule that those with the green light get to go (if only because, at busy times, there will be a cavalry charge of 40 or 50 bikes)

And, yes, cycling glued to your iPhone at night with no lights is very very common. My own particular theory about the "permissiveness" of Amsterdam culture is that it's less related to being liberal and more about not caring about what other people are doing provided you can get on with what you want to do - there's a selfish edge to it.

Strava isn't common in town because road bikes aren't common in town. If you take a look at the routes along the Amstel or the shipping canal South of Amsterdam, you'll see hundreds of segments.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    You may be thinking of the French priorité à droite law, but in practice, whether you are turning right or left, if you are turning onto another road, I would simply assume that the traffic on that road has priority.

Turning left in mainland Europe is just like turning right in the UK - ie you are turning across a lane of oncoming traffic, so you manouevre to the centre of your lane and then, if it's clear, look over your shoulder and then turn. At a junction wait at the middle of the junction until there's no traffic in either direction and then turn - or if you need to, cross to the middle of the road and then wait for a gap in the traffic before completing the turn.

The rules on roundabouts are different in that if there's no sign saying that you have to give way to traffic on the roundabout, you have priority. In theory...

I would forget any legal rules about who has priority and just take the common sense view that it's better to give priority to anything that could kill or seriously injure you - and definitely don't assume that they've seen you, so if you get to a junction always look for other traffic. Even more so for trams - if there's a tram coming get the f*** out of the way.

The biggest hazard is probably inadvertently forgetting which side of the road you're supposed to be on.
  • I think the issue the OP is thinking of is where roads either side of canals are crossed by roads crossing canals. The roads are of equal sizes and often have no road markings. I checked with my Dutch colleagues who confirmed that, in these situations, vehicles to the right have priority. I believe it's similar in Belgium too. In fact, when I lived in Brussels, the rule was more prevalent than in France.

But what you say is right - just beware - especially in a city like Amsterdam where the other person might be even more unfamiliar and clueless than you.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Yes. I was about to amend my post to say that the rule only seems to be useful in avoiding arguments about who should give way/back up if you get two vehicles arriving at an unmarked crossroads/junction at the same time.
  • If the 'shark's teeth' on the road are pointing against you, then you give way. I find this a useful thing to remember in Holland.
  • Yup - they are basically "Give Way" triangles. That said, I'd be surprised if 50% of people take any notice of them at all in my experience.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I think the issue the OP is thinking of is where roads either side of canals are crossed by roads crossing canals. The roads are of equal sizes and often have no road markings. I checked with my Dutch colleagues who confirmed that, in these situations, vehicles to the right have priority. I believe it's similar in Belgium too. In fact, when I lived in Brussels, the rule was more prevalent than in France.

But what you say is right - just beware - especially in a city like Amsterdam where the other person might be even more unfamiliar and clueless than you.

I have to admit, after about 7 years of annual trips to Holland involving cycling, I've never been particularly aware of the giving way to the right rule and I've not had any problems with my ignorance! As long as you are going at roughly the same pace as everyone else it seems to work out though I guess you could get caught up in a solo eddy if it got busy enough!
    Faster than a tent.......