Giant XTC Advanced Frame problems?

Finecactus
Finecactus Posts: 33
edited March 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

I have a 2015 27.5 Giant XTC Advanced. Took delivery late November 2014, but due to an injury I have only done about a 100 easy miles since.

However last weekend after a ride I noticed a chunk of paint flake off with my sponge. Around the rear mech hanger/ bolt through on the out side of the frame away from the wheel.

I have taken the bike back to the shop and on removal of the rear mech more paint came away and a possible crack could be seen.

Now the shop have been great and they have sent the frame back to Giant and I am waiting (hoping) to hear if Giant will put things right etc.

The situation concerns me. This is my first experience of a Carbon frame, and if I am having problems so early on, what can I expect in the future? The frame is only as strong as its weakest point, and this area is where the rear bolt through threads into the frame, so its quite narrow and is going to take forces from the wheel and drive.

Has anyone else had the same problem? Do you have an XTC if so check your frame.. Can anyone restore my faith?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just sounds like a dodgy paint job to be honest.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have a 2015 xtc advanced 1 had it since early november, had no problems with it at all and i have another 3 on my demo fleet at work all fine. I have seen some tcrs and defys loose paint around the dropouts but never crack and when i have returned frames for inspection they have come back with the ok or giant have replaced the frameset
    Dmr Transition 26"
    Giant Anthem 27.5 SX
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
    Cannondale Chase
  • I hope it is paint issue rather than a frame problem.

However with such little use, I would expect the paint to have lasted longer. So fingers crossed that Giant make me happy chappy and put things right!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Giant carbon frames are solid. They're paint could be better.
  • My c2009 xtc is still going strong. however mine is the bare carbon weave and lacquered version so no paint to be considered. Based on my experience I'd bet it's just paint
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I did manage to snap the drive side drop out clean off my old 2009 aluminium XTC but it took some effort! I abused that bike pretty hard for over a year before it failed.
  • Update:

Giant have said the frame is okay, but it hasn't been finished off very well before painting.

Have been given the option to have a new frame, but the trouble is they don't have any medium frames in the same colour. They have offered me a frame/colour you can only get in Holland, which looks nice enough and unique to me in the UK. But its not grabbing me.

Or have the same frame back with touch up paint...

So frustrating, the bike is from the 2015 range and 3 months old and you cant get the same colour...

Oh what to do.. :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's only paint. Should be covered in mud and sh1t anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Do agree that it is only paint, its just I work hard for my dosh and want to ride something that I like.

I have or had: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 241/77339/

They are offering: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/nl-nl/bik ... 523/75933/
  • chuase05
    chuase05 Posts: 23
    Looks better than the uk models, all the euopean models look better to be honest though, had a warranty stance frame in the workshop today from holland looks 10 times better than the uk market bike.
    Dmr Transition 26"
    Giant Anthem 27.5 SX
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
    Cannondale Chase
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I think the Dutch colour scheme is nicer as well.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.