Heathrow/Gatwick Travel

laurentian
laurentian Posts: 2,389
edited February 2015 in The cake stop
Mid March, Mrs Laurentian and I are going to cycle from Hanoi Vietnam to somewhere in Laos.

We are flying out of Gatwick on 13/3 and landing back at Heathrow on 1/4.

As we are in the Midlands and journey being M1/M25 to either, Heathrow is much closer than Gatwick and so leaving the car at Gatwick and having to schlep back there from Heathrow after landing only to drive back past it on our way home adds about 70 miles and seems logistically illogical.

Leaving car at Heathrow then getting a shuttle seems possible but has anyone got any ideas on the best way to do this? Flight out is early morning (6.20am)

Cheers
Wilier Izoard XP

Comments

• Interesting question. Why didn't you book the tickets to leave from the same airport? It seems to me the added journey between the 2 airports is the illogical part, as opposed to deciding where to leave the car.

For me, having the car at the Heathrow would make much more sense, as I would rather have the easy journey on the return leg. Perhaps go down the night before you are set to fly away, leave the car there, and book yourself into a hotel, or wait at the airport and do a midnight transfer? Either way, it's going to be much more cumbersome than needed.
  • laurentian
    Interesting question. Why didn't you book the tickets to leave from the same airport? It seems to me the added journey between the 2 airports is the illogical part, as opposed to deciding where to leave the car.

The reason is that Hanoi is in the north of Vietnam and accessible via Gatwick, after going to Laos and travelling around a bit after that, we fly out of Ho Chi Minh in the South which only goes back to Heathrow.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • OK, that makes sense. Best of luck with the journey!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Take the pain on the outbound journey.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Have the car handy for your arrival home, or just consider trains to and from each of them.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    laurentian wrote:
    Interesting question. Why didn't you book the tickets to leave from the same airport? It seems to me the added journey between the 2 airports is the illogical part, as opposed to deciding where to leave the car.

The reason is that Hanoi is in the north of Vietnam and accessible via Gatwick, after going to Laos and travelling around a bit after that, we fly out of Ho Chi Minh in the South which only goes back to Heathrow.
    You can fly to Hanoi from Heathrow very easily, trust me, I've done it loads of times from Heathrow for work. gatwick might be cheaper but more flights go from Heathrow. Direct flights with Vietnam Airlines only go from Gatwick at the moment, 3 days a week, although they are moving to Heathrow in the summer and going to a daily service.

Enjoy the trip it's sounds great, hope you have a mountain bike or tough touring bike though, a lot of the roads out there aren't very road bike friendly.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    I would vote for taking the pain on the outward trip.

A coach shuttle operates between Heathrow and Gatwick, but given the time of your flight, I'm not sure what time the coach runs from in the morning. Might be worth dropping the car of a Heathrow the night before, getting the coach to Gatwick and booking a hotel at Gatwick for the night.

Other issue is the cost of parking at Heathrow which isn't cheap.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Get a limo to pick you up from the arrival airport and take you to the original airport, will cost around £150.
    Reason I say Limo is a cab will cost you around £100 and the extra is worth it as landing back in the Uk is always an anti climax and this would cheer you both up.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Just checked and companies are offering this for around £100 for a Business Class Merc.
    Bargain.
    Living MY dream.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Another vote for doing all the faff on the outward journey and making it easier on the return. Parking at Heathrow is a bit more expensive, but I assume people like Purple Parking do deals.

VTech's idea might soften the blow a little, but it'll still be a pain schlepping all the way to Gatwick after a long-haul flight. I'd just want to head home.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    I don't know where you are in the midlands but for example, you can get a coach all the way from Wolverhampton, Digbeth, Banbury, Coventry, Warwick all the way to Gatwick. No parking fees, shuttle buses, no stress. Coaches all the way through the night:

Click here
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • laurentian
    Gents

Thank you for all of the suggestions - all of which have been given due heed and investigation. In a huge stroke of luck (well, for me at least) my brother finds himself between jobs and is able to offer a "taxi service" for us both to Gatwick and from Heathrow - paying for his fuel and a substantial "drink" in it for him is a win/win.

Thanks once again, your help is appreciated. The bikes are some kind of Trek Hybrids I think . . . a bit different to what we're used to but we should manage and thanks for the kind wishes.

Will report back when done.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    laurentian wrote:
    Gents

Thank you for all of the suggestions - all of which have been given due heed and investigation. In a huge stroke of luck (well, for me at least) my brother finds himself between jobs and is able to offer a "taxi service" for us both to Gatwick and from Heathrow - paying for his fuel and a substantial "drink" in it for him is a win/win.

Thanks once again, your help is appreciated. The bikes are some kind of Trek Hybrids I think . . . a bit different to what we're used to but we should manage and thanks for the kind wishes.

Will report to the Royal Marsden with malaria and amoebic dysentery when done.

FTFY.

Have a good holiday.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • laurentian
    Cheers!
    Wilier Izoard XP