Wheels

j_mcd
j_mcd Posts: 473
edited February 2015 in Commuting chat
I was thinking of putting CX tyres on my hybrid/foldie which has Shimano r501 wheels.

Does this mean that it'll be able to stand up to a bit of towpath action, i.e. will thicker, wider tyres be able to cope with some of the bumps that might have previously led to the wheel going out of true.

Or, do I need to buy a whole new 'stronger' wheel set?
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    J_MCD wrote:
    I was thinking of putting CX tyres on my hybrid/foldie which has Shimano r501 wheels.

Does this mean that it'll be able to stand up to a bit of towpath action, i.e. will thicker, wider tyres be able to cope with some of the bumps that might have previously led to the wheel going out of true.

Or, do I need to buy a whole new 'stronger' wheel set?
    You'll be fine just changing the tyres
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Shimano reckon they're only good for tyres up-to 28mm wide. You may get away with wider, of course, or you may die in a spectacular fireball on your first ride out. It's up to you if you want to risk it.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I'm on my 3rd set of R501s now - never a buckle or a snapped spoke. OK, road use only but I do load up my panniers with shopping from time to time.

And they're that cheap that if you do bend them, just get a new set....
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I use R501s with 32mm Kenda Small Block 8s on my SS hybrid. It mainly gets used for the school / nursery run and family rides along the Thames path between Weybrdge and Hampton Court. They are absolutely fine (and the tyres are great too).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • You don't really need the full treaded CX tyres (but they do help on the muddy sections) if you are looking at wheel protection. You could fit 28 / 32c road tyres and perfectly fine.

However, as said: if you are running along muddy section some tread will really help
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,952
    501's must be the best value out there pound for pound surely.

I think you will be fine.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18