SRAM X7 problems!

alex100a
alex100a Posts: 84
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Last year I purchased an almost new Boardman Team 650b but since my purchase I've been having problems with the SRAM gears.

The main issue is that the rear SRAM X7 derailleur will not always drop back off the big cog even with the cable completely slack. I've discovered that pedalling back slightly releases it but this is not exactly ideal when climbing up a track!

In addition the whole set up appears sensitive to water an mud. I can get everything shifting perfectly in the garage but on the trails it all goes wrong and I have to go through the how set up process every other ride or so.

I cant really expect Halfords to sort it as I don't have the receipt (the dangers of buying 2nd hand).

Has anyone else had similar issues and managed to resolve them?

Would I be able to simply swap the X7 for a Shimano rear derailleur (Deore/XT/SLX) or would I need to replace everything??

Current set up below taken fro the Halfords website:
20 Speed SRAM X7 2x10 gearing provides a full range of useable gears, with less weight, and easier, smoother shifting in all terrains
◾ FSA Comet 368 42/27t chainset with Mega Exo external bottom bracket
◾ SRAM X7 2x10 trigger gear shifters
◾ SRAM X7 TYPE 2 10 speed clutch rear derailleur

I'm off to Afan in a few weeks and would like to sort this before going all that way.

Thanks

Alex

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I had similar problems with two x7 derailleurs on two different bikes. I found bumping up to X9 or down to X5 fixed the problem. Also noticed the x7's really didn't like big cassettes (11/34) but worked better with 11/32, 11/28).

Side note. SRAM rear shifters require an SRAM rear derailleur, so Shimano Deore/XT/SLX is out of the question.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a decent used X9 rear mech off eBay, typically about £15, the one on my commuter has done circa 4500miles and apart from the pivot points needing lubing (the problem with riding in road salt combined with the lighter SRAM spring pressure) a few times a year, the shifting has always been good.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks guys. I'll look at getting a X9 unit (probably new), which will hopefully sort the problem.

Alex
  • Forgot to ask.... how should I decide what length of cage to go for? Short, Medium or Long???
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The range (Front Big-small) + (Rear Big-small) should be on the advert for the mech, if not Sram techdocs on their website, which is a bit rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Have a check that your derailleur hanger isn't bent - that can cause shifting issues..

I have found the X7 on my 26" Boardman Team to be fine (if a little heavy feeling compared to my dad's shimano) and not really affected by mud at all... even when i was going through mud so thick the other day it ground me to a halt building up behind the fork...
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • As above mech hanger and also try adjusting the b-screw