Flip-flop hub with SRAM cassette?

lewishamilton
lewishamilton Posts: 138
edited February 2015 in Road general
Hello Chaps

Not sure if this is available (done a bit of googling and didn't really find much) but I'm looking for a flip flop hub which I can put my 10 speed sram cassette on one side and either fixed/freehub on the other.

Does anyone know if such a product exists?

Comments

• pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    I don't see how that product could exist. Fixed wheels are usually a 120mm spacing and are un-dished whereas a 10 speed wheel would be 130mm and dished. There would all manner of issues with chainline and chain tension to contend with. Single/fixed also requires a wider chain than you're using on your 10 speed.

You can get conversion kits that allow you to run a single cog on a 10 speed freehub but they're not intended to be swappable - you have to remove the rear derailleur.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Would be astounded if that exists.

Think of it anohter way, when you re on the fixed sprocket the chain will still have to go through the RD, which would have to stay in one particular gear whilst you avoid changing ger at all costs as that would derail the chain.

n+1 time
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    You'd need something like a singulator which replaces the rear mech. No product exists like you mention. Your chain alone is designed to run thro' the rd whereas fixed it's going to stay one length which is why you adjust the wheel in the track end and tighten it up via a tracknut or skewer. plus the points mentioned below. get a fixed/ss is the answer
    M.Rushton
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Why oh why?

Even if there was such a thing you'd be running a single speed (NOT fixed) though a 10 speed rear mech, 10 speed chain, double chainset with shifters on the handlebars.

As my (non fixie owning) friends keep suggesting, just don't change gear. }-)
  • I'm not trying to be patronising, but do you know what you are asking? Or do you really want to be able to flip the wheel round, break chain, remove rear mech and then reassemble the chain a bit shorter each time? I'm not saying this would work, because it wouldn't; at most you'd get a barely rideable bodge job.
  • Yes I know what I'm asking. I was just wondering is all.

Just purchased a cool fixie frame with no wheels and was wondering if I could utilise my current wheels and switch between the two frames when I wanted to.

Looks like I'll be buying another wheelset. Appreciate your responses
  • By the time you've bought a niche hub you could have a second set of wheels anyway.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I can recommend V-sprint wheels - http://v-sprint.com/

Cheap, solid and well made. E-mail him and he'll reccomedn something suitable
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver