Garmin 810 heart rate monitor problems

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited February 2015 in Road general
I'm having trouble with my Garmin 810 heart rate monitor, where it is sometimes being picked up by the computer and sometimes not. I've made certain to change the battery and to check that the strap itself is clean, and moistened in the three places that it tells me to. Sometimes, when I check the Heart Rate settings in the Menu, it tells me Heart Rate sensor not found, sometimes it says it is. And when it is found, it doesn't always show a reading in the ride menu. Its left me wondering whether there is some kind of magic sequence that I should be following.
Can anyone share any "start up tips" that they have to make sure it all works fine? And should the computer still find the heart rate monitor even if I'm not wearing it (I know, of course, that it won't give me a reading if I'm not wearing it!)
Thanks

Comments

• Best trick I have learnt is to wet your skin that you are putting the strap on to. Ever since I've started doing that and placing the strap under a tap quickly I've always had consistent connection and readings.
  • Is it a Garmin premium strap? If it is you will probably need to replace it. Can you possibly borrow another working strap, and try to pair it with your unit to confirm that the garmin is ok. Problems with the premium straps are well known, and if less than a year old warranty replacement would be the best way to go.
  • Is it a Garmin premium strap? If it is you will probably need to replace it. Can you possibly borrow another working strap, and try to pair it with your unit to confirm that the garmin is ok. Problems with the premium straps are well known, and if less than a year old warranty replacement would be the best way to go.
    Thanks Paul. I've been thinking that a return to base is probably the best way to go.
  • Do you wash it after every use? That usually eliminates any need to replace it.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Do you wash it after every use? That usually eliminates any need to replace it.
    Not every time, no, but more often than the once every 7 times it says on the strap. But would that make any difference to whether the computer picks up the monitor? I can see how it might effect the strap picking up my heart rate, but not whether or not the computer "pairs" with the strap?
  • Yeah i would get another strap ... had the same problem and got one from Amazon and now its working