10 speed groupset

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to upgrade my old 8 speed XT groupset on my hardtail, but what with?

Do I go Deore or SLX - XT is out of budget. I'm looking transmission only as I have some new Deore brakes.

Any advice would be great. Plus what size cage?

Thanks

Comments

• You go for the best you an afford. Match cage size to chosen capacity.
  • how do the sizes and capacities match up?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    All in the Shimano technical documents.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ok Thanks.
  • I need long cage (43 on F - R comparison).

So just SLX vs Deore.

Would I notice the difference going from old XT?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My old orange hard tail is 8 speed LX and it is smoother than current SLX / SRAM x7 in the gear changes. My new hard tail is SRAM x7 10 speed and once you get riding the gears work fine with no problems.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I think shifting was smoother back in the good old days with less gears.
    Having had SLX and Deore I would happily have either. Both are good, SLX is a little slicker and a little lighter and comes with a clutch mech.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    If XT is out of budget why not just get used parts?

Unless you meant used XT then my apologies.
  • My XT-XTR 9spd combo it lightening fast. It couldn't work much better at all as far as I'm concerned. Old 8spd stuff was no where new as sharp.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    my SLX with uberbike cables is silky smooth, fast and accurate.
  • Manc33 wrote:
    If XT is out of budget why not just get used parts?

Unless you meant used XT then my apologies.

Its finding the right parts to put together - otherwise I would
  • The Rookie
    [url][/url]
    My XT-XTR 9spd combo it lightening fast. It couldn't work much better at all as far as I'm concerned. Old 8spd stuff was no where new as sharp.
    I'm also running XT/XTR (shifters are XT) 9sp and they also perform near faultlessly, lovely crisp shifts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • So are we saying drop to 9 speed (reduce £) and try to go XT XTR?
  • The Rookie
    Well XT/XT works just as well, on my retro I have LX shifters and XT rear mech and that is also a nice shift quality.
  • I would say 10 speed SLX will outperform your 8 speed XT and that would be my choice. For the extra few £££ I would look to get an XT Shadow Clutch rear mech over an SLX mech as these work exceptionally well.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Realistically, with each new release, shimano seem to filter to tech down through the cheaper sets.

Deore now has a Shadow + clutch mech too.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-m615-shadow-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod108793

Deore shifter feature two way release, and multi-shift on the thumb lever. You can also get them in Ispec to make neat mounting with your deore brakes!
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-m610-10-speed-trigger-shifter/rp-prod108790

I have the deore cranks on my hardtail, and apart from the black paint wearing they have been fine! Rings are the same as the SLX cranks i have.

KMC chain and an SLX Cassette.

functionally deore will work just as well. its all trickle down tech. Slx may be marginally lighter and stronger, but not much!

I wouldnt go old 9 speed just to get XT.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I think money is better spent on shifters than mechs, assuming you get a shadow plus one. A Deore Shadow plus and XT shifter will feel better than XT mech, Deore shifter.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Thanks guys

So if i can get some 10speed xt shifters I can run any 10 speed mech fine with them?

I have a Deore crankset now (9spd I think), will that run ok on 10 speed for now?
  • The Rookie
    Yes (well any Shimano MTB rear mech)

Yes