Campag to Shimano - freehub/cassette?

Ian.B
Ian.B Posts: 732
edited February 2015 in The workshop
I'm planning, once the winter's over, to rebuild my commuter (which is mostly pretty old and now worn out Centaur) with a sub-£300 105 groupset. But what to do with my Fulcrum R3 wheels with a 10s Campagnolo freehub, which still have a good bit of life left in them?

Having read Paolo's blog I'm tempted, for an easy life, to run the 105 with a Campagnolo 11s cassette. But that means buying an extra cassette, and Campagnolo 11s ones seem to be a silly price compared with the 105 equivalent, which I'll have anyway with the groupset.

So will the R3s take a new Shimano 11s freehub body? And if so is it an easy job to do and would I also need to invest in new tools to swap it over?

Comments

• What's worn out about the group set? Unless the shifters are broken, surely it can be revived for far less than 300 quid
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Cassette, chain, at least one chainring need replacing, right shifter needs some sort of rebuild (won't shift a single gear, always 4 or 5 gears in one go) and the body is cracked from a past 'off', rear derailleur needs new jockey wheels at least. OK, that may not add up to 280 (current Ribble offer) but after 11 or 12 years' service it feels like time for a fresh start, current 105 seems to have very favourable reviews and a good price, and I'd like to change from the current triple to a compact.