Bar tape for Roubaix -gel, double wrapped, gel and double

forestnot1
forestnot1 Posts: 244
edited February 2015 in Road general
Any recommendations of bar tape set up for roubaix.

Single wrap, double wrap, gel pad under single, gel pad and double wrap?

Comments

• Don't think it's worth changing from what you might use already. Which for me would be a single wrap of Specialized Roubaix tape.
  • I've tried a few of those things and they don't make any difference whatsoever. If you can run very big tyres at high TPI count and low pressure <70 PSI, then it helps for the first half, after which it hurts as normal
    left the forum March 2023
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I recently installed some Zipp Service Course CX tape which is very well padded.
  • I find the Specialized gel pads work brilliantly and Specialized Roubaix bar tape is amongst the best out there. This little kit will cover everything that you need:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-BG- ... _17439.htm

As Ugo says though, getting your tyres right (i.e. correct PSI for your weight) will have a much bigger effect.
  • You want to dampen the vibrations at the source, hence at the tyre... bit like you want shock absorbers to be by the wheels of a 4 x4, rather than having springs under the seat like the old Jeep had...
  • Thanks guys.

As for tyres, il run 27mm Vittoria open paves on mavic open pro winter wheels. Pressure undecided, maybe start with 70psi? I'm 63kg.
  • forestnot1 wrote:
    Thanks guys.

As for tyres, il run 27mm Vittoria open paves on mavic open pro winter wheels. Pressure undecided, maybe start with 70psi? I'm 63kg.

It's probably spot on, best to try it out though
  • As most of my rides involve some cobbles, I have some small insight to this.

Bartape will make no difference whatsoever, or so little as you would notice. Tyres will, most of my club mates run 25mm or 27mm tyres with 90 or 80 psi respectively.

What does help, counter intuitively I'll admit, is ditching your mitts. After a few long stretches, seams rub, sweat between palm and glove irritates and the thumb of your mitt will create a mean callous on your thumb.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • What does help, counter intuitively I'll admit, is ditching your mitts. After a few long stretches, seams rub, sweat between palm and glove irritates and the thumb of your mitt will create a mean callous on your thumb.

The problem is, if you go down, you won't then be able to finish the "race". I came off on a muddy sector last year and luckily I had mitts
  • What does help, counter intuitively I'll admit, is ditching your mitts. After a few long stretches, seams rub, sweat between palm and glove irritates and the thumb of your mitt will create a mean callous on your thumb.

The problem is, if you go down, you won't then be able to finish the "race". I came off on a muddy sector last year and luckily I had mitts

Its not a strategy with no drawback, I'll admit.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Make sure your mitts have no 'hard seams' that will cut into your skin. I've the full-length course a few times and one time the most painful injury was my metal watch winder rubbing-away a big chunk of skin that stung like hell with sweat
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..