Help on cassette question mix n match?

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited February 2015 in Road general
I currently have a full ultegra group set on my derosa idol and the cassette is a 11/25 11spd
I was wondering can I use a Shimano 105 cassette on it? or has it got to be all the same for mechanical reasons?
Reason I ask is the 11/25 ultegra is killing me on the last bit of my ride home as its a mile up at 11%avg not fun after 50 or so miles so i figured a 11/28 should help but the one I have unused is a shimano 105 will this mater ?

Group set has only done 200 miles so I would say no need to change the chain and that ...or is there ?

Feel free to give me the rule of man up and all that !

Many thanks
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    sigorman85 wrote:
    I was wondering can I use a Shimano 105 cassette on it?

Yes (as long as the 105 is also 11 speed)

eta - the existing chain will be fine
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Cheers that's what I wan to here
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Chain should be alright but it might need to be 1 link longer, in which case you'd need a new chain. Nobody can establish this over the internet without seeing the actual bike and looking at it with the existing chain still in place when the bigger cassette is fitted. There's a pretty good chance you'll be okay.
  • You'll be fine. As above check the chain length with the bike on the largest cogs.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    This is a good site to help with chain length:

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/b ... hcalc.html

Works as good as the old fashioned method (large/large, no RD + plus 1 whole link, which is 1" or 2 half links). As stated above, even if you have an offcut of chain around you cannot reuse Shimano link pins due to the design. A workaround to avoid a new chain, if you do need to go up one link, is to reuse the inner half link and then add a KMC Missing Link to make up one whole (1") link (if you see what I mean). The Missing Link can then be used to help speed up maintenance, etc.,
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yup - no problems but caveat re chain length as above.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Yup, as above it will be fine as long as you have enough chain for the big/ big extreme 'crossover' gear. As a general rule as long as it's the same speed you can mix and match any SRAM or Shimano cassette, chain or chainset of any different model, i.e. one of my bikes has dura ace 7700 chainset, 9 speed tiagra front mech, 105 rear, 9 speed ultegra cassette and all held together by a SRAM chain, and my other bike has a combination of shimano rear mech and SRAM chain and cassette.

Obviously you can't mix and mach their shifters and mechs though due to the pull ratios, and you can't fit a cassette with more teeth on the biggest sprocket than your derailleur specifies.

Campag isn't friendly with anything else though, apart from 11speed cassettes apparently.