Best 8 speed cassette?

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi, i recently found a cassette amongst my spares which was better than my old cassette as it had larger gears than my old one, and i really struggled up hills with my old one, so i decided to switch, but unfortunately it kept slipping under load when used with my old chain, so i bought a new chain hoping that it would work with the cassette, but knew it most likely wouldnt...and it didnt. So now i am forced to get a new cassette. And im looking for one which will give me the best ability to climb up hills. The best i have found is this 11-34t Shimano HG41 Acera cassette.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-HG41- ... 48717399eb

Is it possible to get a cassette that sort of has larger gears all the way through, like for example a 12-36. I want something that would give me the best climbing ability. I will be perfectly fine with 11-32 as thats what i use on my other bike (both my bikes have a single 32t ring upfront) but id prefer to have one that will help me best with climbing.

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I think 11-34 is probably going to be the best you find 8 speed, switching to 9 speed would open up the availability of 12-36
  • I thought so. Would have been great to get a 36t in 8 speed :(

I noticed that too, but the reason why i didnt go the 9 speed route is because ill have to buy a new shifter, and its not really a necessity so i cant justify doing it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    11/34 is nasty in 8 speed because the jump to the large cog is too big.

Max 32 is better for 8 speed.

I'm currently building up an old 8 speed and even 32 felt too big so I've gone back to 28. But it does have an old mech and big 90's rings.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I thought so. Would have been great to get a 36t in 8 speed :(

I noticed that too, but the reason why i didnt go the 9 speed route is because ill have to buy a new shifter, and its not really a necessity so i cant justify doing it.

I may have a shifter and rear mech lying around in the shed that I could let go cheaply
  • Antm81 wrote:
    I thought so. Would have been great to get a 36t in 8 speed :(

I may have a shifter and rear mech lying around in the shed that I could let go cheaply

Thanks for the offer mate but ill have to stay with 8 i think. Plus i just bought a brand new 8 speed chain.
    cooldad wrote:
    11/34 is nasty in 8 speed because the jump to the large cog is too big.

Max 32 is better for 8 speed.

I'm currently building up an old 8 speed and even 32 felt too big so I've gone back to 28. But it does have an old mech and big 90's rings.

Yeah it looks like one of those "Megarange" cassettes. I actually remember having an unbranded full sus argos type bike with one of those megarange cassettes, it worked well from what i remember.

How will the large jump effect shifting?

28 and big rings, doesnt sound too hill friendly to me.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    26 front granny and 28 rear. It's very light and climbs like a goat.
    Which is more than can be said for it's rider.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ohh, 26 front, makes sense then. I like my 32t front as it keeps things simple (i hate setting up front mechs, can never get it right) and it forces me to work as i dont have a granny.

My fitness is pants too, i have only had 2 really proper mountain biking rides since the summer!
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    CS-HG51 aka Alivio.

Its a sad world when that is the best 8-speed cassette you can buy new, but there it is.

I am not sure but my Alivio cassette just has an old XT feel about it, maybe it basically is the old XT "tech". I have to say it shifts better than the PG850's I was using before it. The Alivio is just better IMO, nice lockring, 11t is nickel plated, chain just seems to grip the 11t better but one look at the 11t on both the PG850 and HG51 shows you why that is straight away. I am sure the 30g difference is the SRAM just has 30g shaved off the ends of the teeth, it would explain why it shifts crap in comparison to the Shimano. :lol:
  • Er, the clue's in the name