2x to 1x crankset compatibility.

Caveman_Chris
Caveman_Chris Posts: 135
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
After some expertise before I pull the trigger on a new chainring.

My current setup is 2x10 22-36, sram s1400 gxp. I'm wanting to swap the chain rings for a race face 30t NW 104mm chainring. Well.....that's the plan anyway.

So the parts/tools I need are.......

Allen keys/bit to remove cranks and chainring bolts
Chain breaker
Loctite........

Will I need shorter chain ring bolts? Will a sram x9 type 2 mech and a NW chainring be enough to keep the chain on or will I need a guide? Will I look cooler to other MTBers? (Much enduro, so 1x etc)

Anything else you can think of?

Thanks CC
'14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
OnOne Codeine 29er

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most double chainsets are not ideal for 1x as the nominal chainline is between the two rings, add in that not all hubs put the cassette in the same place and it could work fine or have a poor angle in first, so suggest you measure up.

Whatever bolts hold on your single 36 will hold on your single NW ring.

A type2 and an NW will be fine unless your riding is mega gnarr!

Will you look cooler, well depends on the bike, if it's on a Trax then probably not, and no serious MTB cares what a bike looks like but how it rides!

Anything else, yes worrying about looking cool is a sure fire way to almost certainly look anything but, 'real' is cool.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 30t - 11t is a tiny gear for your top end too.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    30t - 11t is a tiny gear for your top end too.

for most people it will be more than enough off road though.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I ran an XTR M985 double 1x10, and it was fine. The chainline probably was slightly further out, but not enough to ever be an issue.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Most double chainsets are not ideal for 1x as the nominal chainline is between the two rings, add in that not all hubs put the cassette in the same place and it could work fine or have a poor angle in first, so suggest you measure up.

Whatever bolts hold on your single 36 will hold on your single NW ring.

A type2 and an NW will be fine unless your riding is mega gnarr!

Will you look cooler, well depends on the bike, if it's on a Trax then probably not, and no serious MTB cares what a bike looks like but how it rides!

Anything else, yes worrying about looking cool is a sure fire way to almost certainly look anything but, 'real' is cool.

(Almost) exactly what I wanted to hear. I mainly want to spend as little as possible to try 1x out as I'm always between chain rings on flatter/dh trails which is annoying having to swap front cogs and trying to match the rear.

Oh, and the last question was rhetorical.........I know I'll look cool ;) seriously though,thanks.

It's only 3 or 4 cogs up from 36-11, which don't think I've been in 'on trail' so hopefully I'll not spin out. Plus there are some monster hills round here and 30-36 might get........interesting :)
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • Thought about a triple? Radical I know, but you have best of all worlds apart from a little more weight over x2. Stay in the middle on most. Going down hill in the big and granny for those monster hills.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    POAH wrote:

No, its tiny. I wouldn't go less than 34t. I find I'm quite often in 34-11 and wanting more.
  • Shakedown report; arrived today (4days early :) ) and took about 25mins to get fully operational. Easy peasy. Test ride was great! The new 30-36 smallest gearing is fine for my local wood's gravity cannon and loads faster with the higher gearing, might not be able to be as smooth on muddy slopes but we'll see. So much quieter without the chain smacking off the front mech too.

Might see about getting some longer bolts and washers to bring it more central. Don't want to go eating cassettes..

CC
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    POAH wrote:

No, its tiny. I wouldn't go less than 34t. I find I'm quite often in 34-11 and wanting more.

Depends on wheelsize. 30t on 29" wheels is roughly akin to 34" on 26" wheels.
  • [/quote]

Depends on wheelsize. 30t on 29" wheels is roughly akin to 34" on 26" wheels.[/quote]
    Didn't think of that. Pretty obvious really .
    '14 Whyte T129s-*DEAD*
    OnOne Codeine 29er