Play in gxp bottom bracket

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Cleaning bike today I realised I have a massive amount of play in my bottom bracket. I can wobble the cranks well over 1/4 inch, possibly half an inch.

Clearly my bottom bracket in knackered.

First question, gxp bb, how hard is the replacement? should I buy the tools and try to do it myself or is it better to take to a shop. To be honest my biggest concern is getting the cranks off as I tried before and couldn't budge them.

Second question, will it do much damage to anything other than the bb if I keep riding on it till I can fix or get it fixed?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Very easy, like 5 minutes.
    But the cranks (non drive side) should come off easily. The drive side includes the axle so comes out second.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ferrals
    When I tried before I could not get the non- drive side to budge, even when I put a length of pipe over the Allen key to increase torque. Should they just unscrew with a normal Allen key? I'll give it a crack again in the morning and if I can't do it will take it to shop, if I can remove the cranks I'll do it myself
  • Ferrals
    Watched a vid and it does seem easy so will prob do myself. Does it really need a torque wrench to tighten up crank? I'm guessing not?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I've never used one on a bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ferrals
    Thanks. I ended up just leaving it with a local shop as they can do it today which makes life easier and I can ride on the w/e.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Torque wrench for gxp BB? tighten up as much as you can and a little bit more! Sram specifies 48 to 54 n/m, that is way more torque a normal LBS torque wrench can handle, so never bothered using one.
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • You leave the black cap in, I tried to get it out and wrecked the head. You undo the one inside it which backs off against this and removes the crank arm if that makes sense
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    That's it. 8mm key I think rather than the bigger one which is just a cap.

Never had a problem getting mine off - new chainrings etc. More of a pain in the arse to put them back on to be honest.

Got a new BB ready to go on mine but the play must be a couple of mills. When you measure it in inches it must be way past its best!