Formula R1

snowster
snowster Posts: 490
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Do formula 1 R1 require vacuum bleeding?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    snowster wrote:
    Do formula 1 R1 require vacuum bleeding?
    what do you mean by Vacuum?
    and what year brake?

yes get a bleed kit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • snowster
    Well got my bike back from being serviced from local bike and was told front disc piston was not going back and was slightly rubbing and the only way was to send them to formula for them to vacuum bleed them like you I have never heard of this before year of bike is 2012
  • But that's not necessarily the year of the brake.
  • snowster
    How would I find that out?
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    A vacuum (actually just reducing pressure to encourage air bubbles out) is referred to in Step Eight of this sequence.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • snowster
    But surely just getting the bike back from being serviced the shop should bleed the brakes if they needed doing? And why say that the piston would not retract and would have to sent back to formula?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, it's not part of routine servicing so 1/ they wouldn't do it as part of what was quoted so 2/ as it would cost extra they must ask you first.

A little rubbing is normal (or at least not abnormal) is the rub actually slowing the wheel?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snowster
    Yes compared to my mrs boardman comp fi its like chalk and cheese
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Calliper may need centring, or it could be a bit of grub on the piston, neither are hard, doubt it will be air, after all how did it get in?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Formulas have horrendously tight pad to disk clearance. Better in recent years but shit in 2013 and past years.
  • snowster
    The Rookie wrote:
    Calliper may need centring, or it could be a bit of grub on the piston, neither are hard, doubt it will be air, after all how did it get in?
    True as I can't remember it rubbing before this service I will try to get out on it tomorrow as see how it goes