rear hub adjustment help!

atmyage!
atmyage! Posts: 12
edited February 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
Please help! Does anyone know how to tighten the cones on a rear hub with the freehub body covering one cone/lockring, and the brake disc covering the other? On my road bike it's easy peasy to service the hubs with cone spanners, but I am finding it impossible to get to the flaming things with all this stuff in the way! I tried wedging a flat blade screwdriver in to hold the cone still while tightening the lockring up to it ( yes, I know you're supposed to tighten cone up to lockring) but can only get it tightish. Internet searches only seem to show how to do easy-to-get-to hubs on bikes with V-brakes. How does everyone else manage?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You could take bits off. Rotor and cassette if they get in the way.
    Never had that problem though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I always remove my disc so i dont get grease on it, and i remove the cassette to make it easier to get to the cones.

What i would do is remove the axle completely, then make sure the cone on the freehub side is already locked up and in the right place, then put the axle back in, and then all you have to do is rebuild the disc side of the axle. If you do this then you can just do the adjusting and tightening from the disc side as thats the side you can get to.
  • Ok thanks guys. I had already removed the cassette, and it looked like removing the rotor wouldn't achieve much but I'll give it a go and hopefully...
  • As long as one side is set (usually drive) right and fully locked you can do all the adjustment on the other.
  • DONE IT! I BLOODY DONE IT! YES! The lockring tool I had wouldn't fit over the bearing locknut to enable me to get the rotor off, so I had to treat myself to a new one that did, but new tools is always a bonus! Once the rotor was out of the way it was sweet!