Nukeproof AM Comp 2015

hanhamreds
hanhamreds Posts: 100
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, opinions on this bike please http://nukeproof.com/products/mega-am-comp-2/

also views on Nukeproof generally, quality, value for money, reliability etc

many thanks

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Never ridden that specific bike but Nukeproof in general is great. Especially if you buy from CRC the support is second to none and the frames ride as well as more expensive frames. They're usually a little heavier but that's part of the cost savings.

I've not been impressed by the majority of Nukeproof parts but some are good value. They're not usually bad but they are a little expensive for what they are sometimes. The frames are great value though. They're popular for a reason.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I own the Mega TR so can only comment on that but they are very similar.
    Ride is really excellent, a 130/150mm trail bike shouldnt take hard riding as well as this does. Mine has done evefything from 90km xc rides to enduro races, freeride parks and black DH trails.
    Reliability is great, i checked my frame bearings at the weekend and after a year of all weather use they still spin free and smooth.
    Build quality is ok apart from the paint finish. Heli tape it up and its fine. BB shell is ready faced which is something some big manufacturers dont do. Cable guide screws are made from cheese.
    The TR is so capable I heve never wished for the AM. The TR just encourages stupidity. Its the only short travel trail bike I have ridden which has given my the confidence to hit 30 foot gaps without even thinking about it.
  • thanks Guys.

is the AM Comp £700 better than say a Vitus Sommet VR, or £400 better than a Cube Stereo 160 HPA Race?

Sell the Nuke to me :)

my head is saying one thing, heart the other......
  • rockmonkeysc
    Personally I would take the Nukeproof over the Vitus, they work but in an un exciting sort of way. Never ridden the Cube, how does the spec compare?
  • well the Sommet VR (£1788) has a Marzocchi 350CR fork and Monach plus RC3 shock (160mm), mix of XT rear mech,SLX frt mech, Deore brakes - and KS E-Ten dropper.

Cube (£2099) - Pike RC, Fox CTD Boostvalve, XT pretty much all round, stealth dropper, hans dampf tyres.

The cube's are out of stock pretty much everywhere I think.

I've also looked at the Sommet VRX and Cube HPA SL - both basically a step up from the ones previously mentioned but with Sram 1x11 and are 2.5k

I do like the idea of a 1x10 or 1x11 gearing.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It was the frame which made the Vitus rather uninspiring. Its a bit flexy and the rear suspension needs more of a rising rate.
  • Im also riding a mega tr and love it. I was tempted by the AM version but the TR seemed like it would be better for the majority of my riding. Haven't been dissapointed yet!
  • quick update - I've ordered the AM Comp 2015, should arrive Monday.

I'll post some pics asap.