Chainsets

johngti
johngti Posts: 2,508
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Just wondering if anyone has ever compared Tiagra, 105 (in 5700 and 5800 form) and ultegra 6750 chainsets.

My set up is 5700 shifters, brakes and front mech, ultegra rear mech and cassette and a Tiagra chainset. Happy to admit that part of the motivation is to bring it all up to a similar level rather than any massive disliking but I'm thinking about changing the chainset. I can get brand new 5750 for £69 and 5800 for £72. Or i can bid on one of the used ultegra sets that pop up on eBay. I suspect the 5800 would represent a nice upgrade and bang for the buck but it'd be interesting to hear other opinions.

By the way, I am aware that some of the opinions will be not to waste the money but what can I say, I'm a tart when it comes to shiny new kit!

Comments

• I went from R565 to 6800 and it did make a difference to me, mostly through stiffness.

The 5800 looks like I would go for that.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Just out of interest where have you seen the 5800 at £72?
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I'm sure there will be no perceptible improvement except for the aesthetic and psychological.
    Perhaps you'll shed a small amount of weight but that's about it.
    If you know you're doing it because "I'm a tart when it comes to shiny new kit!" then fine :wink:
    If you were trying to convince yourself it was a good value performance boost I'd obviously tell you that you were dreaming!
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I have just found the answer to my question, Merlin are now doing 10 percent of these.
  • johngti
    stevie63 wrote:
    Just out of interest where have you seen the 5800 at £72?

Chain reaction cycles with the 10% British cycling discount. It's actually £71.09 :)
  • johngti
    Ai_1 wrote:
    I'm sure there will be no perceptible improvement except for the aesthetic and psychological.
    Perhaps you'll shed a small amount of weight but that's about it.
    If you know you're doing it because "I'm a tart when it comes to shiny new kit!" then fine :wink:
    If you were trying to convince yourself it was a good value performance boost I'd obviously tell you that you were dreaming!

I would expect any performance boost to be pretty much imperceptible if I'm honest. But then again, performance is 90% mental so there's the argument that if you're happy with your gear, you'll get a bit of a placebo effect happening ;)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    So just try harder and put the performance down to trying harder, rather than buying something that makes no difference then trying harder then putting that performance down to the thing that made no difference.

If you want something, just buy it though.
  • johngti
    mfin wrote:
    So just try harder and put the performance down to trying harder, rather than buying something that makes no difference then trying harder then putting that performance down to the thing that made no difference.

Now where's the fun in that! But more seriously, the works being put in and things are improving. Happy that admit the driving motivation is to have something nice and new.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    If you like the 5800 and can get it at that price, I'd buy it you won't be disappointed.