One Pro-Cycling

dish_dash
dish_dash Posts: 5,560
edited June 2015 in Pro race
Curious interview with Matt Prior about his new project, One Pro Cycling.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/f ... ned-robots

Curious business model. Not sure it's going to be self-sustaining.
But the business model, Prior insists, is different. Instead of selling naming rights to a title sponsor, the plan is to remain identifiable as ONE Pro Cycling throughout. And through tiered membership, the team intend to make their facilities fully accessible to the public by offering training experiences that allow amateurs to ride alongside the pros.

Didn't realise that it's where Jonny Bellis has ended up.

ONE Pro Cycling: 2015 line-up
George Atkins (joins from Raleigh)
Yanto Barker (joins from Raleigh)
Tom Baylis (joins from Haribo-Beacon)
Jonny Bellis (joins from Christina Watches)
Marcin Bialoblocki (Pol, joins from Giordana RT)
George Harper (joins from Giordana RT)
Marc Hester (Den, joins from FireFigthers Upsala CK)
Josh Hunt (joins from NFTO)
Jon Mould (joins from NFTO)
Chris Opie (joins from Rapha Condor-JLT)
Pete Williams (joins from Haribo-Beacon)
Sam Williams (joins from NFTO)

Comments

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    edited February 2015
    Missed out on Steve Lampier I feel.

He will add a fair bit of climbing prowess to Raleigh.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Aim to win the TdF in 5 years...

I ve heard that before somewhere

Well, can't fault his enthusiasm and good to see new faces in cycling. Good on him!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    ddraver wrote:

It's not their actual aim though. It says their aim is to get on to the World Tour in five years.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    dish_dash wrote:

But the business model, Prior insists, is different. Instead of selling naming rights to a title sponsor, the plan is to remain identifiable as ONE Pro Cycling throughout. And through tiered membership, the team intend to make their facilities fully accessible to the public by offering training experiences that allow amateurs to ride alongside the pros.

That's something that Vaughters has been banging on about for years - trying to build a team brand along the lines of football clubs, including having fans. In principle it's good, but if you miss out on a wodge of cash from selling the team name then it looks difficult to make work in practice. Good luck to them though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    dish_dash wrote:

That's something that Vaughters has been banging on about for years - trying to build a team brand along the lines of football clubs, including having fans. In principle it's good, but if you miss out on a wodge of cash from selling the team name then it looks difficult to make work in practice. Good luck to them though.

I've wondered why it hasn't already been done. Can only be a good thing.
    DeutscheTelecom, T-Mobile, High Road, Columbia, HTC....all the same team. CSC, CSC-SaxoBank, Saxo-Tinkoff, etc
    Have maximum of 3 names for each team; Title sponsor/ Team name/ Bike manufacturer..
    Tinkoff- Riis Specialized, Garmin-Cannondale, Sky-Pinarello.

Works in motor racing, could work in cycling. Probably too radical for the UCI, but it shouldn't be up to them. They're the governing body, not the promoter.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • AndyRAC wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

I've wondered why it hasn't already been done. Can only be a good thing.
    DeutscheTelecom, T-Mobile, High Road, Columbia, HTC....all the same team. CSC, CSC-SaxoBank, Saxo-Tinkoff, etc
    Have maximum of 3 names for each team; Title sponsor/ Team name/ Bike manufacturer..
    Tinkoff- Riis Specialized, Garmin-Cannondale, Sky-Pinarello.

Works in motor racing, could work in cycling. Probably too radical for the UCI, but it shouldn't be up to them. They're the governing body, not the promoter.....

I'm confused by your post, you say you are agreeing with what they are trying to do but then seem to go completely to what they are trying not to do which is have the sponsors name as the team name. I don't think it will work as a very large majority of the exposure a team gets if through their name in results and reports.

Bit of a shame this team didn't happen a year ago and just carry on UK Youth rather than having a year where they all rode for different teams and now they have some but not all the riders back together. Be interesting to see how Bellis gets on, would think he really needs to start putting in some decent rides, feel so sorry for him must suck to look back when he was set or a big career then it was gone in one moment
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

It's not their actual aim though. It says their aim is to get on to the World Tour in five years.

tbf some of the newspapers reporting on the team launch,that all seemed to get the same stock interview quotes (so Im taking the no media robots line with a pinch of salt) took the aim as winning the TdF in 5 years as their headline, not the aim is to become a World Tour team.

not sure what to make of the funding model, by not having a team name sponsor, it looks like they are crowd funding with a kickstarter attempt to raise £100,000 through selling "money cant buy" type offers instead.
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    The irony of this quote
    “Of course,” he says. “That is our ambition. We believe the market is there. But I definitely don't want headlines saying, 'Matt Prior says ONE Pro can take Sky down’ because that is not what we are trying to do. What they've done is set a precedent, not just for other cycling teams but other sports teams. We know where we’re at. We’re not claiming to be anything we’re not. But with ambition comes dreams. We want to sign the top riders. We want to compete in the top races. Why wouldn't you want to become as big as you can possibly be?”

In this article titled Matt Prior: My cricket career may be over but I can win the Tour de France with British cycling team ONE Pro.

I don't think he said that anywhere in the article in the article. Perhaps a throw away comment at the end that has been sensationalised.

Hell, they'll be frickin' strong this year though!
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    I'm just disappointed that they aren't going be sponsored by Dairylea.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Is that Florence and Fred clothing logo on their shoulders?

Thoughts on the crowd funding options?

Not convinced I have to say...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/one-pro-cycling
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Im not convinced either - looking at it from my own perspective there is no way i'm donating money to pay the wages or equipment to let someone i dont know race when the money could be put towards equipment, fee's (etc) for my racing and training.

If it was a youngster i personally knew in my own club needing a helping hand to get started then i'd help where i could...but not to fund something like this!
  • It screams of the old I-Team/Nova experiment that (I think) involved Sean Yates back in the day...
  • Is that Florence and Fred clothing logo on their shoulders?

Thoughts on the crowd funding options?

Not convinced I have to say...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/one-pro-cycling

dbe3fb3fb82726ccf4f17ac6b254ca24aba1bef652a4ebc20ee49c86bc9b90e4-630x420.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tempted by the £25 option could be good odds to win a s5
  • Isn't this the exact same business model that iteamnova were going to take over the world with 15 years ago?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Yep ... mentioned that a few posts up... Fearful

photo1.jpg
  • why was Bellis dropped on the 1st of May?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    why was Bellis dropped on the 1st of May?

His Pro cycling stats will tell you everything you need to know. He's raced only a handful of times over the last 6 years, I guess it's not going to happen for him
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition