Decent 650B tyre which will work in wet conditions?

mark_fogel
mark_fogel Posts: 158
edited February 2015 in MTB buying advice
I am looking to replace my Conti X Kings with something which will provide more grip. I am aware that there are loads of heavy tyres with aggressive tread but I am not looking for a tractor wheel just something which will be a good balance between grip, weight and rolling resistance. Looking around I can see that choice of 650B tyre size is quite limited when comparing to 26 or 29. So far I have narrowed it down to Schwalbe Nobby Nic and Specialized Purgatory Control, just wondering what are your thoughts on this? Perhaps there are better choices I am not aware of?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Both good choices, the Nic has a more open tread which may work better for whatever wet surface you ride on, or may not.

In 26" the Nic is the lighter of the two (lightest of the many versions!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I use a Geax Gato XC on the front in muddy conditions, doesn't give up too much extra weight.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Choice isn't really limited at all... Consider WTB Trail Boss, Maxxis High Roller 2/Ardent combo, Maxxis Minions, Bontrager XR4... tons of options out there. Of all of them the old style Nobby Nic is probably one of the worst IMHO, but the new one _looks_ to be a significant improvement.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    benpinnick wrote:
    Maxxis High Roller 2/Ardent combo

That's what I'm running. Great combo.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I have a set of Purgatory's, and I think they're really good though I've got nothing to compare them against
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've found the purgatory is a bit to prone to clogging in my local rather clay based soil, the Nic much less so, but I would say it probably offers a little more grip if it isn't clogged/clogging.

When it's really muddy my Panaracer Fire Mud is awesome (1.8"), getting my up climbs when those on Nic's are spinning up and stopping.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    benpinnick wrote:
    the new one _looks_ to be a significant improvement.

Not had masses of time on them yet but so far I'd have to say they are a huge improvement. Kind of like a faster rolling Hans Dampf and much more predictable and confidence inspiring than the old ones
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Surprised you don't like the x-king in the wet. I found it really good, didn't clog even in clay and provided loads of grip on all sorts of surfaces (rear tyre).
  • My local shops in Swindon don't seem to have anything decent. Found the recommended tyres above on wiggle will probably order later this evening. X King on the front just seems way to sketchy I nearly lost it a couple of times when it started sliding out when I wasn't pushing it particularly hard.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    check out bike-discount.de for tyres.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    mark_fogel wrote:
    My local shops in Swindon don't seem to have anything decent. Found the recommended tyres above on wiggle will probably order later this evening. X King on the front just seems way to sketchy I nearly lost it a couple of times when it started sliding out when I wasn't pushing it particularly hard.
    Ah yeah I was talking about the rear, when I tried it on the front it was horrific, sliding even on fairly gentle corners.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    WTB Vigilante, good clearance and grip. Good front tyre.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.