3T Ergonova bars

brettjmcc
brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Just want some advice from people who are running Ergonova bars in terms of sizing. They say they measure at the drops but they have a flare out meaning it is 16mm narrower at the hoods.

Have people gone up a size, say normally a 42 and riding a 44, or have you then stuck with the 42 size and found no issue? Thanks
BMC GF01
Quintana Roo Cd01
Project High End Hack
Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
I like Carbon

Comments

• motog
    motog Posts: 122
    I went up a size from 42 to 44 cm. These measure 44 c-c on the drops and 42 c-c on the hoods. They feel the same as normal 42 cm bars so I'd recommend you go up a size.
  • +1 had a few pairs and you really do need to go "up a size"
  • Most people can ride narrower bars, try staying the same or going down. If you bike was a stock bike from a large company chances are the bars are too wide for you.
    The titifers have sung their song.

Now it's time for sleep.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    The 44 cm Ergonova is 42.5 cm at the hoods, the 42 cm is 40.5 cm at the hoods
    I have the 44 cm, the flare of 0.75 cm is not noticeable, but for me is very comfortable
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    motog wrote:
    I went up a size from 42 to 44 cm. These measure 44 c-c on the drops and 42 c-c on the hoods. They feel the same as normal 42 cm bars so I'd recommend you go up a size.

+1
  • Funny that. Ive just today fitted 44 ergonovas on my bike after three years of riding 42. Made quite a difference. Hence i am now selling my ergonova team in 42 with red stripe. I only changed as i wanted a black pair as the red clashes with my new bike and ended up buying 44 without realising but after todays ride i will keep to 44s
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Maybe I could try them Jeff? Got the BMC to build up :)
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Got a pair of 44 ErgoNova Team carbon surplus to requirements with the red stripe myself, removed for the same reason as Jeff due to my deeply embedded bike "tartery"
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    Can I ask how does it feel on the drops?
    Read it "flares out" but unsure what that means. I recently had a crash on my ritchley evo curves and the bar has been bent. So decided I like the ergonovas but understand I need to order up a size.

Another question is has anyone else gone from the alu version to a carbon version of the ergonovas?

Just waiting for payday to order a new bar, and some nice new lizardskins :)
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • I have some Carbon Ergonova 44cms, had 44cm Alloy FSA Wingpro and didn't notice much difference in width.

Very comfy on hoods and tops but ifnd the drops to be a bit short (and I don't have particularly big hands). Not sure if anyone else has noticed this?
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I have some Carbon Ergonova 44cms, had 44cm Alloy FSA Wingpro and didn't notice much difference in width.

Very comfy on hoods and tops but ifnd the drops to be a bit short (and I don't have particularly big hands). Not sure if anyone else has noticed this?

Yep - me too. I have been thinking all summer about seeing if I can rotate them around a bit more but have never got around to doing it. Will almost certainly have a look over winter when the other bike gets more use.

Size wise I can't say I noticed any difference between widths on these bars over the standard Giant ones on previously, both 44cms. Much prefer the Giant ones on the drops though.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    I managed to inherit an aluminium version and purchased a carbon version from an unused bike.

So debating which to use for my daily commuter. I have a gated area where I lock my bike so its pretty safe.
    Im pairing either bar with some lizardskin 2.5 bar tape.

But will I really notice the difference between both?
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0