Castelli bib advice please

handful
handful Posts: 920
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
I recently picked up a bargain pair of Castelli Free aero bibs with the Progetto x2 pad after hearing so many times how good they are. They were discounted because they are XXL, I am a large in "normal clothes" and have read that Castelli come up small and to go up 1 or sometimes 2 sizes.

They have arrived and after trying them on they do appear to fit ok, certainly in the lycra/pad sections, my only concern is on the leg gripper bit where they aren't really under any tension. They aren't baggy and there are no flappy bits or sections not touching my leg, they just aren't tight or stretched at all. I don't want to test them on a ride and take labels off etc only to find they ride up, from experience of these can anyone advise if they are likely to be a pain? How tight should the leg grip section be in order for them to stay put?

Thanks in advance
Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
Orbea Rise

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I am a big fan of the FAR shorts. Bibs are a little difficult to size correctly though as two people can have the same height but different leg sizes and stature, etc.

FWIW, I needed to go up one size to an L. When I put the shorts on the leg gripper is a little loose but when I get on the bike it just fits perfect. I wear leg warmers all winter (Nanoflex) and the combo works really well.

Might be worth doing a gentle turbo session if you can, see if the shorts ride up a bit and then grip as your legs expand with activity too?
  • handful
    Thanks Bobbinogs, that's a good shout. With that in mind I think when I buy bibs in future I'll wash them before I wear them :lol:

I can't believe that an XXL could actually fit me to be honest, in all other walks of life I'm considered pretty slim but in cycling I feel distinctly portly! (6ft tall and 13st or 1.82 and 83 kgs in old money) I am targetting sub 80kg hopefully for the summer though even though the OH moans I'm too skinny then....can't win!

I'll have gentle spin tonight and see how I fare with them. Cheers
    Orbea Rise
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I;m not a fan of the castelli fit. I tried several pairs and couldnt get happy - so saved money and bought DHB instead. And they were better made. I've never had leg bands that weren't at least firm.
  • Gaz777
    Gaz777 Posts: 84
    I'd say they're a size too big... I'm taller than you and heavier and I use XL castelli bibs and they fit perfectly. I did try XXL first as I read the same as you, but I sent them back because of the problem you described. I've used XL for many miles in comfort though.
  • handful
    Gaz777 wrote:
    I'd say they're a size too big... I'm taller than you and heavier and I use XL castelli bibs and they fit perfectly. I did try XXL first as I read the same as you, but I sent them back because of the problem you described. I've used XL for many miles in comfort though.

You were right Gaz, a little too big unfortunately :(

Oh well, back they go and I'll keep looking for a bargain pair of XLs!
    Orbea Rise
  • Gaz777
    I spent a while trying to convince myself that it was okay and they fitted, but I had to concede defeat in the end :lol: it turns out that whilst you do need to size up, the stuff online about going up two sizes isn't correct ( for us anyway!)

You'll like them in XL, the fit is spot on.
  • handful
    Thanks Gaz. Just spotted these http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/castelli-cafe-club-free-aero-bibshort-1?var=5690 and grabbed a pair of XL from there, looks like the last pair in that size but all other sizes available if anyone's interested. They are cheaper than normal price anyway at £100, not sure what the difference is apart from the obvious colours but I'm not bothered as it's the pad that's important.

Can someone clarify if wearing Castelli Cafe team kit qualifies me as a FKW? I'd be disappointed if it doesnt.
    Orbea Rise
  • Gaz777
    I can't clarify that but I'd have been well happy with paying £60!! :)
  • handful
    Yeh, I am pleased about that, that's why I posted the deal so others could benefit if they want to try a pair without having to fork out well over £100. Seems a small price to pay for an Italian flag around the legs and a logo. They are few quid cheaper than the XXLs I'm sending back so result all round!
    Orbea Rise