Celeriac

ugo.santalucia
ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
edited February 2015 in The bottom bracket
Prompted by TV chefs unjustified excitment for this ugly vegetable and an affordable price in supermarkets, I've done my first celeriac pure' last night. It's OK, nothing life changing and nothing I would deliberately go for in a restaurant, but my god it's windy... I mean it's worse than having two cans of beans with a dozen cloves of garlic...

Is it just me?

Please feel free to steer the thread towards other farty foods
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    makes a damn fine soup base.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • So does the wind power give you extra speed going up the hills? Might have to try it...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    The thing is should you vary your clothing according to predicted wind patterns? Too thick and wind proof and you will not get the advantage of wind assistance. Marginal gains and all that, people need to know.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    The thing is should you vary your clothing according to predicted wind patterns? Too thick and wind proof and you will not get the advantage of wind assistance. Marginal gains and all that, people need to know.

Speaking of clothing... :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Veronese68 wrote:

Luckily most of the wind protection is on the front of clothing, most clothes are breathable to the rear :D
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    Veronese68 wrote:

Speaking of clothing... :?
    Jury is still out on that. Wore it in the house, bit itchy but not sure if it was because I was thinking about it too much. Need to try it again.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Jerusalem artichokes, make soup, drink, no need for pedalling. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Don't think celeriac is any more windy than most other veg or pulses. Ugo's emissions may be due to it being turned into a puree. Jerusalem artichokes are the number one wind producer for me.

I think celeriac is a fantastic ingredient. There's plenty of soup recipes around on internet, such as celeriac, leek and potato. As always, secret of good soup is good real stock - not from a stock cube.

And try curried celeriac oven chips. Cut celeriac into chip shapes, put in a plastic bag and shake up with a bit of olive oil and curry powder until they are nicely coated. Arrange chips on greaseproof paper on oven tray and bake at fairly high heat until they are nicely browned - about 40 mins.
  • team47b wrote:

My god, yes. Fartichokes as they are known in my house. All is can say is don't let your hot date near them if you're hoping for a night of passion!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    team47b wrote:

My god, yes. Fartichokes as they are known in my house. All is can say is don't let your hot date near them if you're hoping for a night of passion!

Apparently the more you eat them the more immune you become but in spite of having a (relatively)never ending supply in the garden I've never tried this out.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Well, my dad used to grow the bloody things and I never noticed any reduction in effect over the season. It's not as if they're really very nice.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH